hot/cold water not "mixing"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a mixer shower attachment coming from the taps in my bath, the problem is when you turn on the cold tap it seems to "override" the hot water and the shower goes freezing cold, you only need to turn the cold tap on a tiny bit for this to happen. Is this something to do with the way it's plumbed in? If so would it be fairly easy to fix (by a plumber not me !)

When you turn the taps on to run a bath it doesn't have the same problem.

thanks

Sponsored Links
This is a common problem. You have very unequal pressures, with cold off the mains (maybe 3 bar?) and hot fed from a tank only a little way above shower handset height (maybe 1 metre = 0.1 bar?).

You need fairly radical changes to your plumbing to get a decent shower. Best bet might be a venturi shower. Do a search on it for more info.

thanks for that. the hot water tank is propably only about metre higher than where the shower handset is. If I had a new electric shower fitted would I still have this problem ? would I need a pump?

No, an electric shower would run off mains pressure cold water. However flow rate would be lowish (4 litres/minute max) and running costs relatively high, if you like long showers. Check out venturi showers - better flow and lower running costs.

Sponsored Links
thanks, I did a search and got info on Venturi - it does look pretty good and doesn't look like it would be too difficult to install - cheapest place I found it was on Screwfix website if anyone else is interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back