Ignition light on & off while cold and hot water are mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:cry: I am trying to plumb everything myself and nothing goes as easy as planned. I have just fixed a mixer tap (not thermostatic) for the use of bath and shower. I have now noticed that when I mix the cold and hot water, the ignition light on the combi boiler (Vaillant) goes on and off and when it comes on again the pilot light goes on. It is the same for the hot and cold taps in the kitchen and the washing machine (with hot and cold feed)- There shouldn't be any air in the system as I have already checked. The pressure and hot water supply is perfectly fine during a shower. Has anyone got any idea what the problem could be?

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound like you have any problem :confused:
The boiler is supposed to fire up because it is heating the DHW in the secondary heat exchanger.
If all your hot supplys are fine and working to correct temp what is your concern :rolleyes:
Maybe I have read your post wrong but see what the other guys think :)

Thanks for that but what I meant was that the ignition light was going on and off during a shower of 10 minutes approximately 12 times (every 15 secondes). Is that normal or is there something wrong with it ??

That sounds very much like running the cold reduces the pressure via the hot taps to such a degree that the boiler cannot fire.

Try this; Run any cold tap anywhere, then turn on a hot tap - does this fire the boiler? If not, turn off the cold tap and does the boiler fire then?

If the answer is (no) and (yes) then I would suspect that you shouldn't have a combi boiler at all.

Sponsored Links
OK I will try tonight the hot and cold tap test as you suggested. Will see what happens. Yes the shower is running perfectly fine. The pressure is great and the hot water is constant. So still no clue what the problem could be.
I was trying to find out a solution before calling in a plumber.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back