Hot fill washer next to hot water tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has solar PV + hot water tank with PV diverter. She is looking for a new washer and it's going to be in the same room as the tank. This seems like it would be suited to a hot-fill washer [assuming these are still available...]. Is my thinking right here?

Sponsored Links
This seems like it would be suited to a hot-fill washer [assuming these are still available...].
Assuming this is a washing machine for clothes, hot fill are not available, and even if they were, filling with hot water is a fail.
Modern machines use far less water than their older equivalents, and the vast majority of that water is for the rinse cycles, which is always cold.

If you want to save money, wash things at 20C. There is little reason to wash most things at anything above that, and even for things that might require higher temperatures, 40C is usually adequate.

Unless you want to destroy your clothes, the days of boiling everything up to 60 or 90 are long gone.

They make a marine version for narrow boats and the like, but very expensive, the manufacturer has to satisfy energy usage targets, and hard to do this with a hot fill machine, so in the main no longer made.

OK, I think that's that one answered then!
For reference, my washer used 1.5kW for 15 minutes when I put it on a 30 degree wash this morning.

Sponsored Links
I tried to measure what the washer used with each cycle, but on the same cycle it varied that much it was next to useless. Same with tumble drier, it senses the moisture in the cloths, so it seems each time it uses a different amount, did try using a washing line, but had to re-wash so many times to remove bird lime, decided cheaper to use tumble drier.

Car port would be best option, but don't have one now.

For drying clothes rapidly in wet or cold weather we use a luggable dehumidifier in the wet room, on an extension lead. Load is about 230W, nearly continuously, but it seems to pause dehumidifying from time to time and just be fanning. The clothes all go on a folding rack with the dehumidifier pointed at it. If there's a garment of interest, that's where the dehumidifier is pointed. They're acceptably dry after about 5-6h [yeah I know, this is all a bit vague]. Whatever the dehumidifier is pointed at will be dry way quicker than everything else so sometimes we just switch it off at that point.
I assume the efficiency is roughly equivalent to a heat pump tumble dryer as it's the same principle, but a bit less efficient as the room isn't sealed so we're drying the general environment as well.

If she gets a cold-fill machine, she has a reasonable chance of using solar energy if she runs it between 10am and 4pm

But the energy usage of a washing machine is quite small. A tumble drier uses far more. I try to schedule mine for sunny periods, by looking at the local weather forecast and the cloud view satellite maps.

Cotton towel loads use the most.

Assuming this is a washing machine for clothes, hot fill are not available, and even if they were, filling with hot water is a fail.

They are still available

and a friend recently bought a Miele that has a hot fill option.

https://www.miele.co.uk/e/hot-water-zpv000000000000000020000383200-f

Hot fill machines are less popular because they are seldom fully compatible with a combi boiler. The flow rate of water into the machine's hot fill port is often too low for the combi boiler to fire up.

I gather there are some official constraints about how the hot water is heated. Whether these constraints do improve things is debatable. In some situations the regulations prevent the most effective solutions being used.

Consider a heat pump drier instead..

I examined the extra purchase cost of a heat pump dryer, and the low cost of running a simple drier when the solar panels will cover about half the electricity used in a year, and found that it would take ten years to break even.

It might not even last that long

I did also evaluate the cost of batteries, at that time around £6k, and again it was not economically viable. I am lucky enough to have a cylinder and gas boiler so my heating cost is low, and cost of HW is negligible.

Last edited:
For drying clothes rapidly in wet or cold weather we use a luggable dehumidifier in the wet room, on an extension lead. Load is about 230W, nearly continuously, but it seems to pause dehumidifying from time to time and just be fanning. The clothes all go on a folding rack with the dehumidifier pointed at it. If there's a garment of interest, that's where the dehumidifier is pointed. They're acceptably dry after about 5-6h [yeah I know, this is all a bit vague]. Whatever the dehumidifier is pointed at will be dry way quicker than everything else so sometimes we just switch it off at that point.
I assume the efficiency is roughly equivalent to a heat pump tumble dryer as it's the same principle, but a bit less efficient as the room isn't sealed so we're drying the general environment as well.
I suppose not that much different, the dehumidifier is basic a heat pump, it cools the air so the water condenses out of it, then heats it again to remove the moisture out of the cloths, only difference is the space used to place the cloths to be dried, the heat pump tumble drier is doing the same thing, but more compact.

My daughter uses a cloths horse in the kitchen, not really a good idea as it means the humidity of all the rooms increases, but she does not do enough washing for it to matter, and this is the big thing, how much washing is done, and what else makes the rooms damp? For those cooking on gas they are already putting loads of moisture into the room by burning gas, so a vented tumble drier is getting damp air to start with, I assume the heat pump type re-circulates the same air? So how damp the room is does not matter. The washer/drier must be very wasteful, ours uses the cold water to cool the condenser, so not only a lot of electric but also water used.

We were told the heat pump drier took a lot longer, however when we swapped from vented to heat pump, in the main so we could close window, as we never drilled hole in wall, we found no change in the time taken. It was not only going to heat pump, but also going to auto detection of how dry, it was guess work with the vented drier, we had thought since they are in a unheated room, it would make very little difference, however we found kitchen which is heated, got warmer, when the utility rooms window was closed. Will guess wife was leaving the utility room door open?

However the main point is all homes are different, last home we were pumping out centrally heated air with the vented tumble drier, my father-in-law had a gas cooker in same room as vented tumble drier, so room was damper to start with. All the tests are done in a warehouse which is unheated, so the fancy energy charts mean nothing.

It may well be pumping air outside is good anyway, causing air changes, it could also cause a depression in the home, drawing in fumes from open flue fires, that is a poor name, as my old house the gas fire flue brick was sealed to the fire, however since the fire draws combustion air from the room, it is classed as open flue. And a depression can still draw combustion products into the room.

The problem is we try to draft proof, then fit bathroom extractors, cooker hoods, and vented tumble driers, all sucking air out of the house. OK my house I am OK, still have an open fire, although not used except for the AC hose on really hot days, and as said unheated utility room, and large house so today sitting at 44% humidity in my bedroom, likely lower elsewhere in the house. But not that many people live in a house this size with only two people.

They are still available
That Ebac thing is C rated and is claimed to save up to £27 per year in running costs.
Plenty of other manufacturers making A rated machines for £300 less.

The Miele will be the thick end of £1000, and their claims relate to circumstances which will never occur in real use.
1.Compared with the sole use of cold water in a 9 kg test wash in the Cottons 60 °C programme, hot water temperature 55 °C, room temperature 23 °C, no cold water in hot water line.

Both manufacturers make the blunder of suggesting people heat up hot water using their solar panels, and then use that stored hot water in the machine.
Far better to just run the machine using the solar power as already suggested.
reasonable chance of using solar energy if she runs it between 10am and 4pm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back