Hot rads upstairs when heating is off!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope someone can help here, our heating is set to turn off at 8pm during the week, however in the middle of the night the pump starts pumping and the rads upstairs only get hot again.
I don't mind but the missus keeps waking me up to tell me the heatings on!!

We have an Ideal Classic boiler and the programmer is a Lifestyle LP522.

The confusing thing is the heatings been off for a while then the pump starts again in the night, I've checked the boiler and it's not fired up when the pumps on.

I will end up calling an engineer I'm sure but I would prefer to have an idea before someone comes round and charges me a fortune for stuff I don't need..

Any advice welcome.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm hoping after a couple of bad experiences with cowboys coming round in the past (which I would rather not go into right now, wallet still sore), I can arm myself with a bit of knowledge.
Not everyone out there is as honest as I'm sure you are or other people on forums who want to help people that know nothing about your trade.
I didn't come on here to have a pop at genuine trades people, I'm new to the area and don't know any reliable heating engineers so will have to revert to the ads unfortunately.

Has your local council got a Fair Trader scheme or someting similar?

Is your hot water set to constant?

Sponsored Links
I will enquire with the Council on Monday, thanks.

The hot water is set to the same times as the heating so swithches off at 8pm.

The pump is running now and the boilers not fired up, I tried turning the Thermostat down in the hall and it's still pumping!

Just noticed the boiler firing when it's not supposed to.

Would this create too much hot water that then the cylinder has to get rid of, so it's pumping into the heating system?

But then why would it only be upstairs??

No it's in the utility room, unless it's faulty I dont think its that cold in there as its attached to the kitchen.
It seems the pump is constantly on today and the boiler fires up when it feels like it. The programmer is not due to have the HW or the CH on at the moment but the boilers still firing!

It sounds to me like a faulty micro switch. If you have a fully pumped system, then the boiler should come on when the pump runs. Get the zone valve / valves checked out.

There are two 2 way valves, one on the bottom of the Cylinder (Honeywell) and one labelled as central heating valve.
when we turn the CH and HW off, the Central heating valve actuator moves but the Honeywell one at the bottom of the cylinder doesn't.
Could it be this one, should this valve move when turning the CH and HW on and off?
Also would this cause the pump to run continuously?

Thanks for the help so far.

Martin.

There are two 2 way valves, one on the bottom of the Cylinder (Honeywell) and one labelled as central heating valve.
when we turn the CH and HW off, the Central heating valve actuator moves but the Honeywell one at the bottom of the cylinder doesn't.
Could it be this one, should this valve move when turning the CH and HW on and off?
Also would this cause the pump to run continuously?

Thanks for the help so far.

Martin.

Here's the layout in the airing cupboard, you can see the Honeywell valve at the bottom of the tank behind the pipe, the Drayton Valve is the white one, it seems to open and close okay but the Honeywell one doesn't move.

Thanks.

Forget about whether you can see the valve moving(The Honeywell valve lever usually does not move) More likely to be the white valve that has the sticking micro switch. I only say that because Honeywells are more reliable. Its simple to test if you have a multimeter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back