Hot Tub.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving my hot tub from oy old house to my new.

The electrics were done by a sparky in 2006.

I am taking all the armoured cable with me, and breaker box that sits near the tub.

The witing is very straight forward, I watched him do it, and do some og my own stuff at home.

Can I rewire it into my new house and get it inspected. I think is falls in that area, IE needs to be inspected. Or will I have to pay someone to come and do it?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
You can't do it unless you inform the council first and pay them a fee,(probably around £300) which will be more than a sparky will charge.

Also it's not that straight forward a job, and your old parts/cables should be thrown away really and replaced with new ones.

The electricity supply at your new house will have completely different characteristics to the old one.

The new house may need a RCD to be fitted, the earthing may not be up to scratch, the tub may be further away (or the EFLI may be incorrect)
and
(don't forget)
the supply may not be big enough for your Peter Stringfellow soup pot!

These are all things that need an experienced eye and calibrated test equipment to determine.

I would not want to jump into a pond of electrified water until its all been installed, checked and certifed first.

Unless you want to just test it out on one of your kids, as a safety check
:evil:

Really? Why do the council have to be informed?
I will replace the glands, there is absoloutly nothing wrong with the armoured cable, it has been under raised decking, and cost over £200....

I thought I could do the work and get it inspected by a sparky holding the right cert...

What a pi** take...

Sponsored Links
The house (garden) it is going into is very similar to my old one 1 mile away, built in the same year. If it was a very different house, years older etc I wouldn't even try myself...

Yes RCD is required, the same as the old house, I already have a new one.

I will obviously get it checked before using it.

All I was going to do is connect the tub to the iscolation box, 2m form the tub, on the garage wall, run the armoured to the fuse box, the same as it is now. Then get the sparky to run to the fuse box RCD. I didnt see the need to pay him to do the whole lot....

Building control must be informed, as the law requires it.

You can't do the work first and then have it inspected - you must notify before any work is started.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:diy_electrical_work_and_the_law

Hot tubs should have their own earthing arrangements, as they are effectively swimming pools. This means there is far more work involved than just connecting a cable to the fusebox.

Ok my apologies, I called the sparky that did the work in 2005 and he informed the LABC on my behalf. So again, apologies.

I have called him and discussed the move etc, and I am putting the armoured cable down, under the decking, putting the isolation box on the garage, that is all. He is doing the connections. I told him where I have moved to and he knows it and said it will be done the same way.

I am familiar with the earthing arrangements required for hot tubs.

Thanks anyway guys.

... get the sparky to run to the fuse box RCD. I didnt see the need to pay him to do the whole lot....
Too right. Who do these so-called 'electricians' think they are, trying to make a living off the backs of ordinary, hard-working folk? :rolleyes:

After all, how hard can it be? ;)

Too right. Who do these so-called 'electricians' think they are, trying to make a living off the backs of ordinary, hard-working folk? :rolleyes:

After all, how hard can it be? ;)

Not that hard, its quite straight forward to lay some armoured cable from the isolation box to the service cabinet, under the decking. Why no I need to pay an electrician to do that :rolleyes:

I understand why regs get changed, and quite rightly too, but it is going too far, soon I will have to pay a sparky £50 to come and change a light bulb.

Not that hard, its quite straight forward to lay some armoured cable from the isolation box to the service cabinet, under the decking. Why no I need to pay an electrician to do that :rolleyes:
You don't, as long as you can find one who is happy for you to do that part of the work, but his agreement needs to be sought before you start, not after you finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back