Hot water and radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't find an answer to this, so apologies if my search skills have failed me.

I currently have a problem that when I turn the hot water on, the radiators warm up. My landlord has been out and "fixed" this. Now the radiators only get warm with the exception of the bathroom radiators (3 bathrooms) that get boiling hot. He says that this is how it's meant to be as this is the boiler discharging the heat and that if it doesn't do this, it will cut out. i'm not convinced. I was of the opinion that I should be able to have the hot water on without the radiators.

The boiler system seems a bit complicated but it has a tank. It is a rather messy looking piping system at the boiler but with a timer and switches for central heating. In the kitchen there is a large metal boiler with a 3 light indicator and a temperature dial. There is also a thermostat separately that appears to affect nothing. If you need more info, just let me know.

My question to you more knowledgable people that me, is this correct? Is it usual to be unable to have the hot water on without the radiators?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It's not unusual for 1 radiator to come on with the hot water because this is used as a bypass to dissipate the heat but not all of them.

Sounds like a valve issue.

Get the landlord to get someone who knows what there doing to sort it out.

By trying to sort it out himself money will not be saved in the long run.

Would you still think this even though some only slightly warm up?
Also, isn't it a legal requirement that an approved person does the work? e.g. Gas safe

They shouldn't be heating at all if you haven't got the heating on.

You do not have to be qualified to work on the system provided you are not touching gas or certain electrical modifications.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

I think I will write a letter this time as I've had no luck so far and even been told this is how the system should work!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back