Hot water brown in colour

any older hot water cylinder will have brown sediment in the bottom. check that with the hot water cylinder empty, the small heating expansion tank in the loft still contains water, this will check the integrity of the coil inside the hot water cylinder.

Sponsored Links
Good plan there from Brumylad - IF you can find a drain cock for your hot cylinder! It's certainly worth a try because there's nowhere else left for the brown stuff to be coming from.

PS: If you don't have a drain cock you'll have to syphon the water out. Once you have the tank empty you either clean it out or, if the coil leaks, replace it. Either way PUT A DRAIN COCK IN!

Will that be the same advice for a primatic boiler ,thats what i have,the water is clearing slightly.If the thermostat on the heating system was up to high would this cause any disturbance to either tanks ?

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling it's the thermostat,my heating only bursts into action when the dial is at zero :( .and the radiators are burning unusually high.thanks every one for your in put :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back