hot water but no central heating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an old coventional c/h system. f/e tank and hot water tank are in the loft. after loosing both hot water and central heating i fitted a new pump. now i have loads of hot water but no/very little central heating. i have back filled the system from a hose, and i dont seem to have any air in the system. Possibly the 3 way valve at the hot water tank is no good but i switched it to manual and still nowt.
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
First thought would me a major air lock in the heating cicuit. Have you set just ch, bypass shut, all rads off but one, pump on full to see if it will push it through?

When i brought the property i had to run both hw + ch to get anything. Seems that the f+e tank isnt filling the boiler. Also not sure about the 3 way valve. next step was to take all the rads off and flush through as they are very silted up. I will do this then try your first suggestion.

Open a drain point on the system and look in the f&e in the loft. If it isn't emptying and filling at the same time then your cold fill be be blocked where it tees into the heating 22mm pipe work.

Sponsored Links
yeah i drained the bleed tap on the botton of the boiler and it trickled out. iI fear that it could be the join from the f+e into the 22mm. This is behind my shower unit - oops!
i will also check what happens when i run 1 at a time.
Thanks for all you help guys!

i had the same problem water trickling out and after much searching i discovered some twit had closed the gate valves in the airing cupboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back