Hot Water but no Central heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas Eve my boiler started playing games. The hot water and central heating would just stop. When the boiler was fired up it made clicking noises and the fan started. That was it. If you left it alone for maybe 4-8 hours it would come back to life. So a cold Christmas... I eventually got a plumber round and he told me that I would need a new PCB. He seems to check the valve and air pressure switch, which he deemed to be o.k.

So a went a head and installed a new £150 pcb in my Potterton 80e. Nothing changed. He was stumped. I was stumped. Although eventually the boiler did spring back into life some point during that day.

This morning the boiler was off. The CH was off but the HOT water had been running. I noticed that if I turned the HW to off and then back on again the boiler would fire up for 10-30 seconds and then stop. I tried turning the CH to on but now there is nothing. No fan or clicks.

One more thing, maybe a little irrelevant, I have been getting a lot of air out the system through the rad closest to the immersion heater?

As I said earlier the boiler is a Potterton 80e with pump feed supply. The pumps are working but get very hot.

Any help would be much appreciated.
:(

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back