Hot water but no or little flow in radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a fully pumped central heating system - Potterton Sprima boiler 80L (about 4 years old), Grundfos Selectric pump, Honeywell Sundial Y Plan 3 position diverter valve, Potterton programmer.
I have had a number of problems with the system. The main problem is that when HW & CH are both on the rads do not get warm, even after several hours. When I switch to CH only the rads get a little warm at the top but it seems to take a long time. The return pipe back to the boiler appears to be cold still after several hours. Is this a problem with sludge in the CH system or a faulty 3P valve? There are two towel rails fed before the 3P valve which I have turned off to try and increase the flow in the CH, but the boiler then locks out.
There is still a lot of air in the system even after 4 weeks of refilling it after I moved the pump. After moving the pump the system worked very well for a week or so and then went back to its same problems.

Sponsored Links
So why did you move the pump.
Divertor valve? does it have 3 or 5 wires
4 year old are you sure you don`t have a heat store cylinder if you do hot water has to be on constantly and up to temp before it will turn on to heating

The towel rail feeds were on the wrong side of the pump and the way the pipework was done originally meant that there was a reversal of flow in one towel radiator when the circuits switched between HW & CH. There is what I think is a non-return valve where the CH pipe jons with the HW return.
There are 5 wires coming in to the programmer from the diverter valve.
I have an insulated hot water storgae cylinder and this has a thermostat on the side of it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back