Hot Water Cylinder, Tank & Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Your help is much needed! I am going to have a loft conversion soon. I will have 2 showers and need to replace my hot water cylinder and tank, however, not sure which product and what size to get.

Hot water cylinder - I found Heatrae Sadia Megalife v170cl hot water cylinder on the website. It is supposed to heat up 150l of water in 12 minutes. Also found Telford twin coils but no info due to their website maintenance. I also noticed quite a number of you mentioned Centercyl 120.

Q1: Will 120l be enough for 2 showers?
Q2: Which cylinder do you think is better?
Q3: As for direct or indirect? Does it matter which one to go for or must it be the same as my existing cylinder?
Q4: Should I use one with expansion vessel? Which one should I go for?

Tank

Q1: What size should I get for a family of 4?
Q2: Someone said that I don't need a big tank if I have a pump. Is that correct?

Pump

Q1: I know I need to get a negative pump. Should I get twin or single impeller?
Q2: Should I pump the whole house? I don't know the pressure here but flow rate is around 11 according to my neighbour.
Q3: Will this pump get good water supply to the whole house?

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Best to get a good plumber, who comes highly recommended by people you know and trust.
If you diy this, your loft conversion might well end up becoming a nightmare

Thanks for your reply.

I have no intention to diy myself. Most of the corgi plumbers I have spoken to never heard of megalife. Just wanna get some expert opinion to make the right choice.

Anyone who has not heard of a megalife I personally would doubt.

No better than a copper cylinder apart from extra warranty because it is stainlees steel.

I fit the centercyl, never had any complaints to date.

Sponsored Links
Have you considered an unvented cylinder? You would then not need a cold storage tank or any pumps for the showers, but you would need a good mains supply.

Flow rate is too low to install unvented cylinder.

Will Centercyl 120 too small for 2 showers? How big a tank do I need if I install Centercyl 120? Plumb Center said they don't do anything bigger than 120 unless I go for another range which I can't remember the name.

Flow rate is too low to install unvented cylinder.

Will Centercyl 120 too small for 2 showers? How big a tank do I need if I install Centercyl 120? Plumb Center said they don't do anything bigger than 120 unless I go for another range which I can't remember the name.
IMI Range :idea:

If you are going to have a shower in loft area, you need to make sure the cold water tank need to be as least 1 metre above a shower head. And a shower twin pump for better flow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back