Hot water cylinder's leaking. Please, advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a rented flat, moved in few months ago. Unable to contact my landlord - the phone is turned off. From the first day I've noticed very low hot water pressure to taps and shower compared to cold water. I guess my own fault for not paying too much attention to this problem. A month ago my father passed away and I had to go back to my home country for his funeral and sorting out legal matters. And now when I came back here yesterday, after switching on the water cylinder, I noticed that there's basically no hot water coming out from any hot water taps in this property anymore just from cold water taps. So today in the morning I had no choice just to disassemble a wooden shelf hiding the hot water cylinder. After closer inspection for my horror I noticed that water is leaking in one place. I took some pictures, please, take a look. I'm truly terrified at the moment because my landlord not picking up his phone and for example today, as it's Sunday, I really could not afford to have an emergency plumber coming to check this hot water cylinder. My question is, do I need to turn off the main water supply into the flat, although, I do understand that it won't stop the water cylinder from leaking as it's full of water anyways? Please advice, till I'll get a pro to fix it.

Attachments

• 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 376
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 368
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 363
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 353
Sponsored Links
OK, first thing first, shut all the power to that cylinder off. That tap that you say isn't moving will need to be unsiezed. It isn't that old and has probably just locked at full on, it will probably free up with a little persuasion. It needs to be turned to the right (clockwise) and if you use an adjustable spanner across the tap head it may free up with a clunk, try that with the mains water turned off.
2nd is once that's shut off then there is a drain tap at the pipe running into the bottom of the cylinder which will allow the cylinder to be drained (pic 2 you'll nsee a little valve sticking out of the pipe with a square end and an outlet. You need to get some hose onto that and then loosen the square top on the tap (not all the way out) and the water will start to drain out through the hose till it's below the level of the immersion element.

This all needs looked at urgently, that is an unvented hw cylinder and has the potential to be pretty dangerous and the scorch marks on the cylinder aren't a good sign either. Make sure that when it is being looked at that the engineer is suitably qualified. He must hold a G3/UVHW certificate and card that he must be able to show you. If you can't get your landlord repeatedly then I believe you can legally get someone in and then get them to bill him but check that on Monday.

1. As Madrab says, that is an unvented hot water cylinder and only a suitably qualified person can work on it. As he also says, turn off the power to the upper and lower immersion heaters.
2. Are you sure that the leak is coming from where you have shown an arrow to it. It could be coming from the open black plastic device (called a tun dish) next to the immersion, and dripping onto the immersion cover. That might also explain the low pressure of your hot water prior to discovering the leak.
3. Those cylinders should be serviced annually. Its not a legal requirement, like a gas safety certificate, but a responsible landlord would have it done.
4. You really need the landlord or his agents (if any) to get the work done quickly. I for one would not do work which was to be billed to someone else without that someone's prior agreement. You pay have to pay for the work to be done and claim back from the landlord.

I turned off the power yesterday in the late evening even without seeing a water cylinder. As I mentioned before, I had basically no water at all coming out of hot water taps, so I just felt instantly that there must be a real big problem with a water cylinder.
The tundish is completely dry. Not a single drop of water inside of it. And yes, I'm totally sure that water is leaking from that upper immersion point.
The date on the sticker that's located on the cylinder states that the inspection (or service) been done back in 2004... If it's true or not I don't know - I'm here from October 2019. In any case, I have no other option but to get a professional person with G3/UVHW certificate and card. And I'm gonna ring every heating and plumbing engineer in this area first thing tomorrow in order to find one. I need to shower, I need to do my laundry, I need to live normally after all....
BTW, I had to call my neighbor to help me turn the tap by the cylinder. I could not do it myself. Not an excuse but I'm a female so probably not strong enough... Well, anyways, the tap freed up, however, is it normal that we had to turn it clockwise ~ 20 times? That many?
Unfortunately, my neighbor knows nothing about the pipes, taps, heating, plumbing, etc. So neither do I. But I think, there is no mains water tap (no stopcock) in the flat. Attaching the picture of what I found in the kitchen under the sink. It's not mains, is it? Do I need to shut it off? Got a hose and fitting for draining the cylinder. Do I need to adjust TPR (?) or RWC (?) regulators before starting?

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    kitchen.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 310
Sponsored Links
That most recent pic of yours certainly looks like a stop tap. Turn it off and see if the cold water taps stop working. Don't touch the pressure regulator or any of the other adjustable bits in the cylinder cupboard.
Have you tried texting your landlord? (Phone may not be off, they may be somewhere with rubbish signal or on a flight or many other possibilities- a text sent by you has a timestamp, useful if you get into a row later). Do try very hard not to call a tradesman out yourself- high risk you'll be stuck with the bill.

So far I sent 4 messages to my landlord. Will text again, will try to call again. He needs to know what's going on. And I would appreciate his help because I truly panicking here. In any case I need a qualified engineer in asap.

Turned off a tap in the kitchen. Opened the cold water tap - still have cold water, good usual pressure.

As I mentioned before, I had basically no water at all coming out of hot water taps, so I just felt instantly that there must be a real big problem with a water cylinder.
No water from hot taps and cylinder leaking means at least 2 different things wrong with it.

This will not be a cheap repair - do NOT call someone yourself. It's your landlord's responsibility to arrange repairs and pay for them.

With the water supply to the cylinder off, and the immersion heaters switched off, nothing bad will happen. You just won't have any hot water.

Can that tap under kitchen's sink be somehow related to washing machine only? It's turned off and I run cold water for quite a bit but still no changes in cold water's flow....
I rent from a private landlord not through agency and unfortunately that means I have no paperwork listing the state of fixtures, fittings, appliances in this flat prior I moved in. What if he claims that's my fault for damaging the cylinder? Maybe I am really to blame, I never even had a single though about water cylinders until today.. 1rst floor flat also belongs to the same landlord. Need to speak to people living in that flat - they not at home today, hopefully will return soon, maybe they have some other phone number (or maybe some email address) where I can reach him....

A sensible landlord would leave important details (like where the stop tap, gas valve, main electric isolator, meters etc) for their tenants. A really polite landlord would leave details of the current utility suppliers (account numbers, meter references etc) with a little note saying 'switch if you want, it's your place as long as you pay the rent on time'.
As for damaging the system- if all you've done is turn taps on and off then you haven't damaged anything. Any critical valves should be marked as such- if they're not marked then how are you meant to know what they do?

That stoptap in the kitchen is definitely supplying something- are you sure you've turned it all the way off (clockwise)? It is possible (though unlikely with the pressure regulator on it) that only the kitchen cold tap is on that (presumed) rising main tap, others might be on tanked water supplied by a different stop tap. Hard to tell without having a good look round, unlikely since you have an unvented (mains pressure) hot water cylinder...

From my landlord I've got a manual how to use a washing machine.... That's all. Apparently, he's not very approachable. Spoke with a couple living on the 1rst floor. They, themselves, had to replace a condensation control vent in their bathroom (dripping water), got a new washing machine installed, their electrical oven keeps tripping electricity so they avoid using it. They kept all invoices, photographed/ video recorded everything, etc due to a fact that our landlord never responded to their calls and messages. That's a huge warning sign for me.

I'm pretty sure that I've turned that stop tap clockwise all the way off. Can it be that it's faulty and won't shut off properly?

I've spent all day basically gazing into the water cylinder and wondering why did this happen. And I can't stop thinking about how many times I had to descale my kettle because of huge limescale buildups. And it's just few months I live here. As I suspect no any kind of service been done on the water cylinder since 2004 (that's 16 years!!!) maybe it's all because of huge amounts of limescale inside?

Limescale could easily be the cause of your lack of hot water. And yes it is possible the stoptap is blocked (though it doesn't look that old)- don't gorilla it, you've done your best. Even more reason for not getting involved with booking repairs- could be a very dear do.
As for contacting landlord- they don't have to have a working phone but they do have to have a UK postal address at which papers may be served. Write him a letter detailing the problem, send it recorded delivery (or registered post). While you're waiting for an answer, check with Citizens Advice but I believe that if you report this particular type of problem (no hot water) to your council's environmental health department you'll be protected from revenge eviction (if that is the landlords' chosen remedy). If you can get Environmental Health on the case, they can do a better job of chasing the landlord and they have the power (and resources) to get the work done and chase the landlord for payment. The other tenants having to do all that stuff is unacceptable- presumably you're living in London or somewhere else with very high demand for rentals.

Thank you very much, oldbutnotdead, for your reply. I feel so much less stressed now. I will start writing to my landlord straight away and will send it first thing in the morning. We're from South West, far away from London, but I guess it's a big demand for rentals around this area.

Very important question - is this situation with my unvented hot water cylinder can count as a serious fire hazard, too?

BTW, haven't been able to drain the cylinder. Connected a pipe, placed the other end into a bucket, turned the switch with a wrench but nothing came out... Completely blocked? Anyways, the dripping stopped completely a while ago despite the cylinder should still be full of warm water. So maybe, I can really wait few days before calling in an engineer if it's really safe to keep the cylinder like it is now.

Not a fire hazard per se but there is a risk of explosion with it being a pressurised vessel that hasn't (as far as you can tell) been serviced since 2004.

Not sure about draining a pressurised cylinder- there should be some sort of vent somewhere to allow air in when you want to drain it. If the leak has stopped then that's good news, with the immersion heaters off and the stoptap off (as far as you can tell) then yes its safe to carry on living there. Your landlord should treat 'no hot water' as a priority call- should certainly have someone out to investigate within 24 hours of being notified of the problem. You do not and should not have to call in an engineer- its the landlords' hot water system not yours. Short term (if you're living on your own) sign up with a local gym having a 'first month free' offer and use their showers :)

Thank you again for your reply.

I'm lucky enough to be welcomed at my neighbor's and can temporary use their showers so daily personal hygiene is sorted for the moment. What's more important - I can have a normal sleep tonight. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back