Hot water fluctuations in shower, help!

Hi Goldberg, I cannot see what is underneath the bath unfortunately, it is all closed with bath panel and there is no easy way to get there without removing/breaking the panel
Hi irusmal

I have a hunch that the hose is connected to the bath taps - is that correct?

Sponsored Links
Hi irusmal

I have a hunch that the hose is connected to the bath taps - is that correct?

Goldberg, this image looks exactly like my shower, only shower head is chrome finish:
alpha-bath-shower-mixer-taps.jpg

Goldberg, this image looks exactly like my shower, only shower head is chrome finish:
I thought so.

Those bath/shower mixers are fine for rinsing hair, or for cleaning out the bath, but are never much cop for showering under because there's no thermostat. This means that you're at the mercy of whatever flow and temperature fluctuations occur, including those outside your property. Couple this with a probably boiler fault and you have no hope of a stabilised temperature.

The best you can do for now is play with the bath tap settings to see which flow rate gives the most stable temperature. In the long term, investigate having an electric shower fitted, or just get used to bathing.

The best you can do for now is play with the bath tap settings to see which flow rate gives the most stable temperature. In the long term, investigate having an electric shower fitted, or just get used to bathing.

Thanks Goldberg, playing with tap settings is a no go, i tried and it is uncontrollable at all. So do you think changing the boiler will not solve the problem? I am planning to change it in the long run, it's just that to fix this particular problem, if better option is to fix electric shower, i will go for that option (cheap and quick). But if boiler change will make a difference, I will change the boiler (will only have to cough up funds for a boiler change, otherwise install electric shower and then change the boiler will cost considerably more :cry: )

Sponsored Links
to fix this particular problem, if better option is to fix electric shower, i will go for that option (cheap and quick). But if boiler change will make a difference, I will change the boiler (will only have to cough up funds for a boiler change, otherwise install electric shower and then change the boiler will cost considerably more :cry: )
I recommend that you consult your boiler installer, and point out that you need to run a shower from the combi. If he can supply and fit an appliance and guarantee you stability, then fine, but I doubt that he can.

The problem you'll have is that an electric is probably not a cheap option. It isn't just a case of a mounting a £50 white box on the wall and running a bit of pipework - you'll need a dedicated electric circuit to supply the large load, and if your property isn't up to scratch in terms of consumer unit and RCD protection then the costs will increase to include work that's needed for electrical safety.

goldberk said:
I recommend that you consult your boiler installer, and point out that you need to run a shower from the combi. If he can supply and fit an appliance and guarantee you stability, then fine, but I doubt that he can.

more twaddle

you recommend based on what ?

get the boiler changed or at least serviced "properly" and be sure to mention the poss faults mentioned earlier

bath mixers are ok as a shower within limitations you might try a larger shower head

i would give electric a wide berth

Guys, thanks for all your responses!

It looks like problem is not that simple, a lot of things to consider, I know a lot more now thanks to you! I will consult plumber tomorrow and see what he says. I will let you know how it will go.

Also, 1 last question to you guys. I have never dealt with boiler or any other gas appliance installations. Plumber said he is Gas Safe registered, when he does the installation, will he give me some kind of a certificate that appliance was installed by Gas Safe registered person? How does it work?

Also, 1 last question to you guys. I have never dealt with boiler or any other gas appliance installations. Plumber said he is Gas Safe registered
Ask him for his registration number - be nice, and if he's genuine then he'll be very happy for you to check his registration status.

when he does the installation, will he give me some kind of a certificate that appliance was installed by Gas Safe registered person? How does it work?
Yes - you should expect to receive a gas safety certificate. Ask your installer to explain to you what paperwork you will get, and see the Capita web site for more information:
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/advice/gas_certificates.aspx
http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/about/gas_safe_register_engineers.aspx

Your boiler is old and does not control the hot water temperature apart from user variations in tap settings.

Thats not much good for showers.

Modern boilers control the hot water within +/- 1° C. That means that a plain mixer shower like that works well. With a tank fed system they also work well too. Thats what I use at home.

I prefer that to thermostatic units which sometimes interact with a combi to cause fluctuations in the temperatures.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back