HOT WATER GOING INTO COLD TANK

dennis1394 said:
remus said:
:idea: My brother has had a problem for a while with hot water occassionally going up from the hot tank into the cold tank, not by the overflow but by the pipe that feeds the hot tank. I've been in the loft when it happens and the water is hot and the plastic tank can get soft. Water goes out the overflow. He has had the valve that controls the water/heating/both checked and that is ok and he has had mixer taps replaced. Any ideas anyone please?

A failed immersion heater thermostat will do it too.thats exactly what happened to me :mad:

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
dennis1394 said:
A failed immersion heater thermostat will do it too.thats exactly what happened to me :mad:

If a failed stat will do that then i'm gonna shove my 22mm bending spring where the sun don't shine :eek:

bobthebender said:
dennis1394 said:

If a failed stat will do that then i'm gonna shove my 22mm bending spring where the sun don't shine :eek:

well Bob if it fails to shut off IT will boil and fill the CWS with hot water

So then is it going to be Vaseline or KY

Your choice

;)

PS this will be a non resettable one of course :)

corgiman wrote

Through the cold feed or the vent pipe corgiman ??.

Sponsored Links
Balenza said:
corgiman wrote

Throught the cold feed or the vent pipe corgiman ??.

bit o both I reckon :)

either way the CWS is gonna get warm :)

seen it meself several times

corgiman wrote

bit o both I reckon

Yeah but thats not what OP is finding.
And forgive my ignorance but how will the hot travel up the cold feed if its been jetted out through the vent pipe at presumably a very high temperature .

Balenza said:
corgiman wrote

bit o both I reckon

Yeah but thats not what OP is finding.
And forgive my ignorance but how will the hot travel up the cold feed if its been jetted out through the vent pipe at presumably a very high temperature .

true but I was answerring bobdabuilders statement

"f a failed stat will do that then i'm gonna shove my 22mm bending spring where the sun don't shine "

As I say if the thermostat fails then intially the feed pipe will send hot water up, and once 100 degs is achieved the vent comes into to p[lay

either way the CWS is going to get hot hot hot

:)

If an immersion heater fails and boils some of the water in the cylinder, the hot and steam are going to come out of the top (the vent pipe).

The immersion heater generally does not reach to the bottom of the cylinder (unless you have a cylinder only 28" deep).

With temperature stratification, the coolest water is going to be at the bottom... where the cold feed is. Heating water at the top of a container, an insignificant amount of heat travels downwards, because convection currents travel upwards. I'd be interested to see hot water coming out of the bottom, past the uninsulated lower surface.

JohnD said:
If an immersion heater fails and boils some of the water in the cylinder, the hot and steam are going to come out of the top (the vent pipe).

The immersion heater generally does not reach to the bottom of the cylinder (unless you have a cylinder only 28" deep).

With temperature stratification, the coolest water is going to be at the bottom... where the cold feed is. Heating water at the top of a container, an insignificant amount of heat travels downwards, because convection currents travel upwards. I'd be interested to see hot water coming out of the bottom, past the uninsulated lower surface.

true true

Have to agree with softus.

A set of mixers is letting by, posibly one of the new onws thats just been fitted.

Shower, blender or other all needs testing.

Pssssssssst could also be why its in termittent :rolleyes:

corgiman said:
bit o both I reckon :)

0003237yv5.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm no expert, but on my old system this happened too. It turns out the cold water pipe allowed hot water to travel back up to the CW tank as the pipe was an old imperial size which for some reason allowed this. Strangely it never happened on metric pipes. My father in law (who told me about this) slightly closed the tap on that pipe and it stopped. I can't explain how or why, but if there is a tap on that pipe, turn the tap down a bit and see if that helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back