Hot water Heat Sink advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Im currently planning on replacing my bathroom. I need some advice on the Rad which is a gravity feed rad that is ugly and pointless. i believe its only on when the boiler gets to hot for the hot water tank and therefore only heats the rad as a heat sink from the hot water tank. Or it comes on when heating water with heating the hot water tank and is just used to heat the bathroom and is not a heat sink. Either way i would like an electric towel rail. If someone knows what it is that would be great
After that long induction my question is what can i do to replace this rad if its a heat sink and what to replace it with. Thanks Regards john

Sponsored Links
Why replace with electric? They are rubbish at heating the room and are a poor substitute for a standard rad. Will cost more to run too.

If you have to have a towel rail, plumb in a proper one, poss with an electric element for when ch not on.

It is a popular thing that a lot of plumbers do to provide a rad for drying towels summer and winter. If you don't like it then turn off valves drain rad remove it cap pipes and replace with an electric heater if that is what you want to do. It is not classed as a heat sink just a source of heat in the summer for drying towels.

It is a popular thing that a lot of plumbers do to provide a rad for drying towels summer and winter. If you don't like it then turn off valves drain rad remove it cap pipes and replace with an electric heater if that is what you want to do. It is not classed as a heat sink just a source of heat in the summer for drying towels.

So this rad is placed on the hot water system and not the C/H system to dry towels during the summer. Makes perfect sence TBH. Would make sence to instal a towel rail that will use the hot water... Am i right in saying that its not a hear sink from the hot water tank and is just plumbed into the hot water boiler circuit... Im a first time buyer and im trying to understand the system i have... Would you like pictures

Sponsored Links
My bathroom is also rather small so wouldnt take much heating. Im currently running the electric heater in the hot water tank as im on E7 and have been told its cheper to heat my water that way so i heat it for 2 hours from 3am till 5am and its lasts me all day... Hence why im thinking that rad wouldnt be much help in summer or winter... Any ideas

If your saying you can run electric one on eco 7 then do it, but you won't be using bathroom at eco 7 times so it is irrelevant. Do what you want to do, we can't decide for you ant more than we already have.

I think we're back at looking at your oil boiler again. A way of doing it would be to split your central heating into different zones with a dual timed controller. Thus you could have you water heated by E7 during the summer if you so wish and a sub-circuit of radiator(s) from the boiler in the warmer months. Alternatively, you could just turn all the unessential rads off as required per season and leave those you need for drying and having a warm bathroom.

This is my Rad in the bath room

Radinbathroom_zpseb280f3f.jpg

i think i would like to change this rad for a towel rad thats mounted to the wall and use my oil heating to heat it at night with heating the hot water as its already on that circuit.. Ill then use E7 to heat water in the morning for her to wash her hair lol.. We only really need that bathroom heating at night for baths and showers... Could this be done do you think

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back