Hot water/heating issues. Doing my swede in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let’s see who can figure this out.

New Intergas boiler fitted to new position during conversion of attached double garage into kitchen. Prior to new boiler being fitted no hot water so I opened the valve into manual to give me some time to change the head.

I had two new radiators in converted garage piped up recently as they were left disconnected so I could plaster/decorate etc.

When speaking to plumber on his return I told him I had the hot water valve open on manual, he mentioned I perhaps shouldn’t leave it like this as could damage the boiler. Therefore I released it and it returned to its closed position.

Since plumber came to pipe up new radiators and add inhibitor my heating valve got stuck in the open position. I think I’ve remedied this for now by taking off head of valve and moving the sieved valve with a small pair of adjustables-head replaced and seemed fine.

Current situation: time clock off for both hot water and heating. Boiler has no 1 on display which means temperature reached. 1 old radiator is absolutely boiling hot even though nothing calling for heat. Boiler feels warm also. The hot water appears to be getting heated somehow also and is scolding hot.

Any ideas is it possible a wiring issue? Why would just one radiator be getting hot when time clock set to off positions.

Also I don’t know what the c-on and t-on mean on the boiler.

If you can help thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is the link pre wired as a factory default. Why would it need removing?

If wiring issue is causing boiler to fire when not called for why would only one radiator be getting hot. Surely the whole circuit would be?

Sponsored Links
Yes system boiler. Cylinder upstairs. I can’t figure it out. I’m a site manager and have a bit of knowledge of heating systems but can’t figure this out.

First things first. Check parameter 1 is set to 3 not 1

It's almost certainly either that the parameter is wrong or there are two links in the PCB one should be removed and one shouldn't. But if it's ignoring the timeclock it's probably the parameter.

Try pushing the button with the tap on it until there are no lights on above it. If the boiler status changes from 1 to 0 it's the parameter

Trying to make sense of your post I think one of your valves micro switches is stuck closed.

I had a similar problem two weeks ago with a newly installed Vaillant boiler. Everything off but the bypass was getting hot. Turned out they forgot to remove a low voltage link. The link is installed for when you use Vaillant controller which runs on 24v and needs removing when using mains powered controls. I removed the link before the installer got back and it’s been fine since. Maybe Intergas are the same?

I had a similar problem two weeks ago with a newly installed Vaillant boiler. Everything off but the bypass was getting hot. Turned out they forgot to remove a low voltage link. The link is installed for when you use Vaillant controller which runs on 24v and needs removing when using mains powered controls. I removed the link before the installer got back and it’s been fine since. Maybe Intergas are the same?

Yep hence my first post (y)

The easy way to check is to see what status code the boiler is showing when it runs from cold. It'll be 5 or 6

Razor - how do I change parameter? You say ignoring time clock but when I turn clock on and turn up room stat boiler fires and all rads heat up.

Picasso - I think my hot water valve head is knocked as doesn’t open when called for.

If it's saying 1 on the display it means the boiler is up to temp but there is still a heating demand. If the boiler is set to hot water priority on parameter 1 it will ignore the timeclock and run if it thinks thye hot water needs reheating.

Did you try turning the preheat off as above?

Could I remove the link my self. I’m quite handy and doubt I’ll kill myself.

I will try change parameter in the morning to see if that works first.

All these Intergas fanboys on here but where are they when you need 'em......

Offending link wire removed!!

Boiler now fires correctly when room stat turned up and goes off when stat turned down.

Also fires when I open the hot water valve manually( as I still think I have a faulty head as doesn’t open when time clock on and no hot water, I’ve checked the head has power so I assume I can just swap this for a new one).

1 last question. When the boiler fires for hot water the LED light next to the tap doesn’t light up, it lights up next to the radiator, also the boiler code shown in the display shows 5 for heating and not 6 for hot water. Is this ok???

Thanks to all who have helped so far!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back