Hot water/ heating wiring problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please could someone advise me on the following situation.

My system comprises Suprima 50 boiler (recently thoroughly checked by portterton engineer when replacing parts), Honeywell 4073 3 port valve, Honeywell room stat, Potterton EP3002 programmer, Honeywell cylinder stat, Grundfos pump and Honeywell frost stat.

The 3 way valve, room stat and programmer were new with the boiler parts and have been wired in by a qualified electrician according to the wiring diagrams using a Honeywell 10 way junction box, he has used new wiring for all the components thus rewiring the whole system as per the diagrams.

The electrician has spent 3 whole days checking and rechecking the wiring, looking at boiler wiring diagrams as well as the Sundial Y diagrams and the valves and programmers own ones. He is now at a total loss and I am just in despair.

The problems encountered include:-

Phantom boiler running, as if frost stat telling boiler it's too cold - hopefully now resolved, should know later, hopefully the boiler won't come on of it's own accord.

Radiators getting hot when only hot water is on - still unsolved. When hot water on the manual lever is in the auto position with resistance to being moved. When the CH is switched on the lever becomes loose with no resistance. When the CH is switched off the motor whirrs and the resistance returns.

Tonight when the programmer got to the set time to come on the boiler lights showed that it was not getting instructions, however when the room thermostat was turned right up to over 25C the boiler fired.
However when the programmer switched off the boiler kept going until the room stat was turned down.
Clearly this is no good if I want the programmer to come on to heat water early in the morning, when I'm asleep, as I'd have to be up to adjust the room stat to make the boiler light.

He's convinced it must be a problem somewhere in the wiring but says he has run out of options and doesn't see how it can be wrong when it is exactly as the diagrams show.

Please help.

Sponsored Links
Hi, ChrisR,

Have looked at the wiring, there are 2 wires in with the grey, earth from cyl stat and a black one from programmer. I'll show the sparky your post, I know he had the diagrams you linked to so hope those wires should be ok.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gasman

I'll ask him when he comes back on Weds.
Should it be the Brown wire from the Cyl stat?

Do you really believe that an electrician can really be competent if he can spend THREE days looking at wiring and still not know what the problem is?

Have you paid him for THREE days work at say £140 per day ( total £420 )?

Would it not be better to get a proper heating engineer who will offer a no-fix no-fee diagnosis?

Tony

No, I do not mean it should be brown, it should not be green/yellow(earth).
Which would indicate that he has not used the correct cable.
Multi core would be better, also manufacturers diagrams do not take into account modern boiler wiring requirements. i.e permanent live/ switched live and pump overun.

Job should only take 2 / 3 hours not days.

many electricians struggle with fully pumped heating systems. they dont know the configuration of the working process,therefore struggle to wire it correctly. A good engineer(heating) should be able to help in conjunction with the electrician.Or find a electrician who works a lot on heating systems.

I would say that any ( proper ) heating engineer should have the necessary skills to wire up and fault find on any part of a heating system including its controls.

Electricians primarily are qualified and skilled to work on power wiring. They do not all have the additional skills to work on alarms, telephones, access control or heating systems which require a knowledge of electronics.

Tony

Could be the valve and/or switches inside are sticking of course.
There are no electronics involved.

Can't think of any "qualification" required to see if A is connected to B or not... :rolleyes:

Why all this talk of "proper" sparkies and engineers?

Who'd defining what "proper" means anyway?

bachippy, what you need is someone who understands domestic heating systems. What you've had is someone who clearly doesn't, because, as ChrisR hinted, these things really aren't very complicated, but you can't guess your way through it.

So, find an engineer/plumber (whatever) who's been recommended to you by someone you trust. It doesn't matter what their qualifications are.

If you can't find a recommended tradesperson, then select one from local advertising and ask them politely, but before they come out to you, how they charge generally, and specifically how they charge for a problem when it might be (a) intermittent and (b) difficult to find. You're not asking for a quote, just a guide of how the charging will go.

Keep searching until you find one that, much like Agile, will offer to guarantee to solve the problem, not just look for it, and for someone who will limit the fee if they take too much time to fix it.

Sorry to disagree Softus.

An half decent apprentice could trace the wires with a meter.

Rocket science it is not :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back