Hot water issue on worcester 28i junior

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, First time poster many times reader.

I have a Worcester 28i junior which about 6 years old with a hot water problem. If i turn the hot water on for a bath the water comes out cold. If i turn the tap back so the water trickles out it comes out hot. Can take some time to fill a bath. Shower is OK, sink is OK!

I have one of those policies with British gas and they say its the heat exchanger but wont replace it because they say its blocked by sludge. Typical! They want £300 to replace it!

Are British gas correct and if so can I replace this myself??

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Very possibly, and yes. If you think you're capable, it would be a worthwhile thing to try. No gas involved.

Going by BG's terms and conditions they are bang on and it isn't covered. Have they told you before about the sludge in your system and advised you to sort it?

Usually if sludge hasn't been identified on any previous visits they'll fix the first fault for free and advise on any preventative measures required.

Sometimes thy say they won't fix it for free unless you buy a magnabooster or powerflush, other times like in your case they'll refuse point blank. Not very consistant i'm affraid.

It's not a DIY job to sort, you could be starting something you might not be able to finish! It's an awkward bugger to do.

Hi Guys, First time poster many times reader.

I have a Worcester 28i junior which about 6 years old with a hot water problem. If i turn the hot water on for a bath the water comes out cold. If i turn the tap back so the water trickles out it comes out hot. Can take some time to fill a bath. Shower is OK, sink is OK!

I have one of those policies with British gas and they say its the heat exchanger but wont replace it because they say its blocked by sludge. Typical! They want £300 to replace it!

Any help is much appreciated.

If the suspected blockage is on the heating side of the bi-thermal heat exchanger a litre of strong cleaner, followed by a drain down, refil, and the adding of inhibiter may give good reults.

If its on the Domestic hot water side some descaler flushed around the DHW side of the bi-thermal would also improve things.

Adding System cleaner such as X800 and draining is less complicated than doing the DHW side of things.

Tim

Sponsored Links
In most cases on this model it would be lime scale in the DHW pipe inside the heat exchanger.

Unless very clever that means the HE has to be removed but thats a gas related job and not for a DIYer.

That would often be caused by a dripping tap.

However, in this case Devon is mostly igneous rocks and the water is consequently mostly quite soft.

Tony

If this is the model with a biflow hex, it is unlikely to be caused by sludge. If there is sludge in the system that needs to be removed first, and removing it might well solve the problem.
Changing a main hex is not a diy job, a secondary or plate hex can be done safely.
You need to find out exactly which model you have before going any further.

Bengasman is spot on as I think that model has a twin pass heat exch and therefore is RGI work.

Hi Guys

Have read all the threads. Many thanks for all your advice.

I have done the cleaning thing about a month ago with x400. No difference.

The only thing i can find out about the boiler model is a 28i junior, should there be more info??

Ive been looking at the manual.The primary heat exchanger (if that is what BG are on about) looks to only have 4 water pipes on it. 2 dhw inlet and outlet and 2 central heating in and out. Also a over heat thermostat! Nothing about gas. Could this be correct. Can you have a heat exchanger that doesnt have a gas connection??

I have just managed to get a new pump from BG (for a water leak). Boiler much quieter but still hot water issue on bath!

Am i going to have to bite the bullet and get some one in???

again thanks to all that answered.

Just get BG back. Your boiler does not have a secondary heat exchanger which means it can not be blocked.
A blocked secondary hex has also a slightly different manifestation of the problem.
In your case where the water gets hot and stays hot if the tap is only marginally opened, it is a matter of not enough gas being burned.
Could be a number of different causes, all of which would come under any BG cover.
Speak to a manager and tell him that if they don't repair the problem, you will take legal action and contact the (tv) ombudsman if an independent RGI repairs the boiler.
The problem with BG is that some of their guys are stars, and some are complete muppets; it appears you had the latter.

Ok Bengasman

Not sure how the boiler works but should i just ask for second opinion from Bristish Gas?

Just so i can kind of understand and can you put it in simpleton terms why cant it be the heat exchange on my boiler?

thanks again

Not sure how the boiler works but should i just ask for second opinion from Bristish Gas?

No, they must repair it, not give an opinion on.

Just so i can kind of understand and can you put it in simpleton terms why cant it be the heat exchange on my boiler?
Because it doesn't have a secondary hex; what ain't there, can't get blocked

many thanks Bengasman. Ok, Better get BG out then. Not sure what to say to them as BG are supposed to know best.

Not sure what to say to them as BG are supposed to know best.

I see you have a sense of humour. The days of all BG engineers being very good has long gone. They still have a few very good ones, but the majority had been replaced by much lesser gods in a big cost cutting exercise.

This is the best thing to say to them.

1. (after opening the door, otherwise he won't hear you) Hello there, come in
2. Let me show you where the broken boiler is.
3. Your colleague didn't manage to solve the problem, I hope you have more success.

4. (optional extra if the guy seems to make a good effort) Want a cuppa?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back