Hot water piping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having to upgrade the plumbing to the current bathroom. I also have to take off for a new ensuite which will have hot water to basin only. Is it worthwhile reducing the hot water pipe from 15mm to 10mm?

What are the effects likely to be, i.e. will I be able to fill a bath in a reasonable time?

I have a combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
The advantage of 10mm over 15mm is that there is less standing cold water to draw off before the hot comes through, plus it is easier to install, being more flexible.

The disadvantage is that it will tend to restrict the hot water flow, but this might not be disadvantageous with a combi boiler. It's possible to calculate the result based on combi output, hot water flow rate and length of 10mm run.

However it might be simpler to connect a similar length of 10mm tube up and just test it empirically. Bear in mind that hot water temperature from combi will vary with cold mains temperature so at the moment it will be lower. You could certainly use 10mm for basin supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back