Pump for hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have practically zero pressure in my hot water supply and am wondering if I can fit a pump to it.

The reason is that I recently had a plumber install a new bathroom and an ensuite shower/bathroom in a flat I own. The original supply was provided through 15mm pipes. What he has fitted are the new smaller pipes in the baths and washhand basins which I assume are 8mm or less. The hot water tank is at head height and the resultant flow is such that it would take hours for a bath to fill. The cold supply is OK as all baths/basins are fed off the mains.

Can I install a pump to increase the hot water pressure? If so, does it go on the flow or return side? I have seen mention of positive and negative flow pumps but have no idea of which side to use. Instinct says the flow side as this must presumably ensure that there is always water in the pump but instinct is not always a good guide.

If a pump can be used can anyone suggest a manufacturer to go for?

Many thnks.

Sisyphus

Sponsored Links
If your only doing the hot as your cold maybe mains fed then salamander do a ESP single pump for this situation.

If it's a conventional hot water cylinder, sure, you can fit a pump to it.

But 8mm laid to supply a bath? You need a new plumber, mate. 22mm for baths.

8mm tails to the taps - unfortunately very common continental style ones :cry: Stuart Turner pump :idea: Good Luck rolling the boulder , Sis ;)

Sponsored Links
Any chance your plumber is polish or european?
In which case he is probably used to mains pressure hot water.
Hence the small pipes for the hot water.
Your choices are install a combi boiler. Install a mains pressure hot
water tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back