Hot water prob. Anyone explain this please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My system - Halstead Best db40, fully pumped, CH - Zone valve & room stat,HW - Zone Valve & cyl stat, Siemens RWB9 Programmer. Problem - recently I started to hear a clicking or arcing noise from around the on/off switch area within the boiler when the programmer created a demand for hot water but which stopped after a few seconds and the boiler fired,pump started etc. But when I came back of my hols my son told me that the boiler would not give any hot water at all - CH seemed fine. On investigation I discovered that whether I pressed HW or CH on the programmer I got 240v at Terminal 1 on the boiler (coming from the switched live lead in the main wiring box) but choosing HW would NOT fire the boiler up or start the pump and there was no clicking noise.If I chose both HW & CH then all was ok. I contacted Halstead and they said if the boiler was working on CH then it was probably ok but to check all wiring of external controls and maybe the HW Zone valve. I did this and all seemed ok - I took the HW zone valve actuator head off and watched it turn and give 240v out from its endswitch , the valve itself was free with no sticking.I replaced the actuator head with a new one and the problem dissapeared. Fine- but what I dont understand is if I was getting 240v from the HW Zone valve to the boiler what was causing the problem that the new actuator fixed?Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
A bad connection that you unknowingly fixed when the new head was fitted?

Could explain the 'arcing' noise.

Sponsored Links
Yep - 240v at Terminal 1 on boiler chocolate block (switched live lead) which in turn comes from the orange lead from the HW Zone Valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back