Hot water problem with Vaillent EcoMax 824

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me:

Recently moved into a new house which has a vaillent 824 combi fitted.
Hot water initially would come on very hot then quickly go cold. I checked the outlets and the heating loop was getting hot on DHW demand so changed the diverter valve.
That improved matters in as much as the hotwater is now at constant temp but still not at the sort of flow I would expect.
Spec is ~8l/min at 35deg rise, I'm only getting 5l/min @ 25deg!
Initial thoughts were that the heat exchanger was fouled but the loop return temp is onlt at about 35deg which suggests to me that the heatx is working - all the available heat from the loop is being taken out by the DHW flow, just as if the burner is not putting enough in.
I did wonder if the DHW temp sensor was shot but I changed that too and it made no difference, for some reason you can't read that one from the diagnostics.

Hope someone can help, it's driving me mad now!

Sponsored Links
do u have any other gas appliances cooker etc whats the flame like on it high low? could be a number of things best thing would be to get an rgi to check over the boiler and take a look at meter incoming working pressure may not be correct.

Nath

You seem to have two problems.

An inadequate DHW flow rate and an inadequate temperature rise.

The first may be caused by a poor supply pressure. You should compare it with the flow from a cold tap. There is more resistance through the boiler so the flow rate through the boiler will always be a bit lower, perhaps 60-80% of the cold flow depending on the supply pressure and resistance.

There could be several things causing the second and some are gas related so the obvious advice is to call a competent boiler engineer.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Sorry, didn't make it clear, the flow is not limited to 5l/min, I'm throttling it back on the tap to get the temp up. Full flow rate is much more than that.
I know the obvious is to get an engineer out but that's an expensive option if there are know/common problems with the boiler I can eliminate first.

All sorts of problems affect boilers!

To diagnose the actual fault its necessary to do tests of which include gas tests.

Thats why you need a boiler engineer.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back