Hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post so go easy on me...

I currently have a problem with my hot water and I'm not sure if it's my motorised valve or timer controller that is at fault.

I have an Ideal Classic boiler, a Danfoss timer controller, a Heatrae Sadia tank and a Honeywell motorised valve. This equipment is all 5 years old. My heating and hot water are always on for a couple of hours in the morning and evening, and just after the clocks changed the other week I woke up to find I had no hot water. My heating was still working fine. My immerser switch also works fine.

I was first advised to try recharging the air gap in the tank, which I did without success. I then set the motorised valve to manually open and I have had hot water when my heating is on at the same time. I have since changed the valve back to normally closed and I am still getting hot water as long as my heating has been on. When I press the 1hr boost button for hot water, the boiler does not ignite. If I press the 1hr boost for heating, the boiler ignites as it should.

I have bought a replacement powerhead for the valve, but I'm thinking that it's actually a problem with the timer controller not sending the signal to the boiler. Does this seem feasible?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
i would check you have power on the wire from the programmer to the cylinder stat when hw called for.
the valve doesn't play a part when hw only called for

i would check you have power on the wire from the programmer to the cylinder stat when hw called for.
the valve doesn't play a part when hw only called for

Sorry, I should have said that the Honeywell valve is on the HW feed, and there is another valve for the CH. Would that still be the case?

Sponsored Links
sorry read part of you post wrong.
you say hw isn't working on timed or boost.

with only hw on at programmer and cylinder stat calling check if you have power on the brown wire to the hw valve.

poss the motor has failed.

sorry read part of you post wrong.
you say hw isn't working on timed or boost.

with only hw on at programmer and cylinder stat calling check if you have power on the brown wire to the hw valve.

poss the motor has failed.

The hot water initially didn't work, but after leaving the valve at manually open it came good as long as the heating was on at the same time. Now I have put the valve back to normally closed and I still get hot water as long as the heating has been on at the same time. It is only when I switch on the 1hr boost for hot water on its own that it doesn't work. It's as though the water signal from the timer controller isn't being sent to the boiler.

I do have a replacement valve to fit, but I don't want to fit it if it's not necessary. Would a failed motor cause the signal to not be sent to the boiler from the controller?

As you can probably tell, I am new to all this. Thanks for your help.

Now I have put the valve back to normally closed and I still get hot water as long as the heating has been on at the same time.
sounds like the programmer is not giving a live to hw unless the heating is on aswel.

I do have a replacement valve to fit, but I don't want to fit it if it's not necessary. Would a failed motor cause the signal to not be sent to the boiler from the controller?

your on a s plan system. two seperate valves.
you say you still get hw as long as the heating is on. that proves the valve is working.

you just don't get hw when on on its own.

i would check the hw live from the programmer to the cylinder stat.
in the wiring box.

Now I have put the valve back to normally closed and I still get hot water as long as the heating has been on at the same time.
sounds like the programmer is not giving a live to hw unless the heating is on aswel.

your on a s plan system. two seperate valves.
you say you still get hw as long as the heating is on. that proves the valve is working.

you just don't get hw when on on its own.

i would check the hw live from the programmer to the cylinder stat.
in the wiring box.

Again, thanks for your help with this. I'll get a spark to check it out.

It's been a long process of elimination.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back