Hot water problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently re-routing the hot water pipes in my bathroom and I have come accross a T juction in the hot water supply (of a combi boiler) that goes to the cold water main, has anyone any idea what this could be and if I actually need this. I think it could be some sort of safety device to cool water if the temperature gets to high. please help.:confused:

Sponsored Links
If could be a Thermostatic Mixing Valve (TMV) but this looks very different to a normal pipe tee & most have some form of adjustment on the top. TMV’s are fitted for 2 reasons
1. As a safety feature to prevent accidental scalding.
2. Some ancillary devices (shower booster pumps) have a maximum working temperature of 60-65 degrees to avoid damage.

I don’t know if the pump in a combi boiler has a maximum temperature restriction but I’d be wary of removing the TMV (if that’s what it is) without checking.

Try posting in the plumbing/heating forum, which is where this should be really!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back