Hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people, this is my first post so hope it's all ok.

Our boiler is a potterton performa 24, combination. We used to have scalding hot water upstairs and down, no problems. Upstairs we have an electric shower installed in the bathroom with a power switch for it in the hallway.

It maybe sheer coincidence but when the power switch to the shower was on the boiler would cut out flashing error, leaving just cold water no hot for the bath or sink, if I turned the power switch off it would run hot water fine. I couldn't get my head around this as the water feed to the shower came direct off the pipe that feed the tank in the loft, and how the main power to the shower unit effected the boiler totally baffeled me. Anyway we could deal with this and did until the downstairs hot tap started to send the boiler into error mode leaving us with no hot water yet all the time the heating was fine.

As it's rented accommodation we made the landlord aware, he had someone come out to look at it who he claimed does all his work for him! He checked it over and after some inspection concluded the PCB board was knackered. 2 days later he returned fitted the new board and said all was fine. Things seemed fine we had lovely hot water downstairs and heating was fine BUT upstairs was far from fine, regardless of shower being on or off, the hot water from either tap on the bath or sink runs at below Luke warm temperature. If you turn the taps to almost stop so it's trickling eventually the water begins to get nice and hot but takes hours to fill a bath.

We are awaiting on the landlord to return our call but wanted some expert advise in the mean time, I'm not happy with this man who fixes the boiler, while changing the PCB he worked out a White lead that ran upto the pilot light ignitor was preventing it from sparking his solution just disconnect it, it's not important! It was disconnected not near the pilot light but where it ran to, the top of like a small clear expansion tank/overflow with two chambers one filled with water the other empty but with a White plastic tube coming from the bottom of it like a waste pipe. Is there anything I can do myself that anyone can advise my pregnant other half is crying out for a hot bath I'm a shower man and that's fine lol

Tom

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back