Hot Water Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since moving into our bungalow just before Xmas - we have become aware of a problem with the hot water supply to our bathroom and kitchen sinks (bath not effected)

Sometimes there is an adequate supply and sometimes just a drizzle and on other occasions it does not flow at all –

A friend of my wife’s mentioned that her husband ‘dabbled’ in plumbing and he came to take a look on Friday and is of the opinion that it is happening because there is no tap under the sink to regulate the flow and my wife has agreed to let him come back on Thursday to see if he can resolve this – I am a bit dubious to say the least – surely if there was no tap to regulate the flow then it would gush out all the time rather than no water at certain times of the day.
I have wondered if it is anything to do with the temperature of the water as it is very hot and the problem tends to be at the start of the day/morning when the water in the immersion tank has been left all night to heat up, and we never use the bath until the evening my 3 year old is bathed –

Any thoughts as I am a bit reluctant to pay someone who dabbles

Sponsored Links
It sounds very much like your wifes friends husband doesn't know what he is talking about.

As a starting point the affected taps should be dismantled and examined. It may just be a sticking washer.

I had an amusing problem described to me which initially defied my diagnosis!

The combi worked fine most of the time but just when using the shower in the loft extension the FIRST time in the morning the water did not always come out hot. Subsequent showers for the teacher husband were OK.

Tony

I had thought about that - but the kitchen tap is a new tap - (installed just before we moved in)

Sponsored Links
Agile said:
I had an amusing problem described to me which initially defied my diagnosis!

I had an amusing little problem today that seemed to defy all logic. An Ariston boiler that I had installed as part of a complete central heating install had just packed up. No warning, nothing.

Now ordinarily I wouldn't of course trust the trainee, Sebastion for such a job and Rodney from Cambs, who is ordinarily reliable, gave me very short thrift. So, it was down to muggins as usual to sort everything out.

Anyway, after completing my exhaustive repertoire of checks and of course finding the problem, I was informed that the boiler was still under warranty.

How we laughed! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back