Hot water pump??? for bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope to fit a bath in a loft conversion. (Bungalow) As I have a hot water cylinder (downstairs) would it be possible to pump the hot water up from the tank. Alternatively, could I fit a shower type water heater. Any advice would be appreciated. Barry

Sponsored Links
You do not say enough about the plumbing in your bungalow. Does it work under mains pressure or have a header tank?

An electric shower would take forever to fill the bath.

PaulAH said:
You do not say enough about the plumbing in your bungalow. Does it work under mains pressure or have a header tank?

An electric shower would take forever to fill the bath.

Hi Paul,
All cold services work off mains pressure. The hot water cylinder has a small tank (about 20 gals. I guess) immediately over the top of it. The pressure at the hot tap in the kitchen and bathroom sink is very weak. We have no bath at the present (Hence enquiry) and only a mains electric shower. The hot water and heating are heated by a Baxi Bermuda fire/back boiler. or immersion heater. There is a small header tank for the central heating in the area to be converted within the loft.
Regards Barry

Sponsored Links
slippyr4 said:
have you got room in the loft to install a cold water tank?

I am using all available space for the conversion and only just have enough headroom. I could maybe fit a small tank in the top inner gable end .
I do have some room within the eaves (around 4ft at its highest and 4ft going to nothing)
Regards Barry

Or - the answer to your question, yes you could fit a negative head pump to your HW tank to get the water upstairs. For a shower mixer you'd need to take a cold feed , also pumped (use a twin pump), from the CW tank. Ie you couldn't mix pumped HW and cold mains.

I have the same problem and am contemplating putting in a single impeller pump on my hot water line from the cylinder. The pump will switch on with an in-built flow switch. Suitable pumps are available for under £200. My only concern is that the pump will take away water faster the ballcock can replace it and eventually empty the cold header tank. I will either need to throttle the pump back with a valve after it or somehow speed up the filling of the cold tank.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back