hot water / radiator dials on boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

It seems that in order to get hot water, i need to have the radiator dial turned up as well as the hot water dial. Is this normal or incorrectly installed?

Appreciate some help on this.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
if you dont use vaillants controls the hot water dial is inactive...

if you dont use vaillants controls the hot water dial is inactive...

Its a vaillant system boiler, how can it not have vaillant controls?

Would very much appreciate a detailed explanation.

Thanks in advance

By Vaillant controls Alec means your programmer thermostat wiring centre etc

If you use their controls then the dials do as u are expecting

If third party controls are used the boiler is only told to fire not if it is for heating or hot water and is then diverted to whichever the controls are telling it.

I prefer to use vaillants own controls but this doesn't mean yours is wrong

By Vaillant controls Alec means your programmer thermostat wiring centre etc

If you use their controls then the dials do as u are expecting

If third party controls are used the boiler is only told to fire not if it is for heating or hot water and is then diverted to whichever the controls are telling it.

I prefer to use vaillants own controls but this doesn't mean yours is wrong

How can i check which controls have been used?

Assume i know next to nothing about boilers. Can you break it down for me?
Do i have to open the white box to see this?[/img]

A clock that u put times into for heating and hot water maybe in airing cupboard

OMG...

Alec - I thought you said your customers all loved the simplicity of this stuff :LOL: Just kidding.

OP... The boiler is designed to have an inbuilt (or at least connected) controller that it can talk to. this has a sensor on your hot water tank that tells the controller how hot things are. The Tap knob on the boiler then has the ability to control the water temperature.

Your installer has (as Alec likes to put it) used numpty controls. I.e., simple. There is a thermostat on the side of the cylinder that controls the hot water temperature, and a clock that sets the times. the Tap dial on the boiler does nadda.

The radiator knob sets the boiler's running temperature, so you need to leave it at 70 - 80 degrees to get you water hot enough quick enough.

It is not worth loosing sleep over though.

Dan - thank you for your reply. I suppose it doesn't help matters that there is no clock. Anyway, the fact that it hasn't been setup properly, is this significant? Am i going to incur extra heating costs? Or be energy inefficient?

I.e. is it worth getting it fixed?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back