Hot water runs slowly after a few minutes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a problem for a while now where the bath will only fill a few inches before the hot water turns to a trickle. I usually leave it a while and try again. Anyway, tonight I decided to take a closer look.

We have an indirect system. I'm not sure if it's vented or unvented. We're in a flat with no roof space, the top of the hw tank disappears higher than the door frame into the airing cupboard so I can't get at it.

I thought it may be an airlock or blockage, but realised the bathroom and kitchen taps all suffered the same symptom. I also realised I couldn't hear the whooshing noise of water filling up the hw tank. I closed an re-opened the valve on the cold feed then heard the whooshing.

Now the valve turns easily, but feels damp and seems to have a slow drip. I'm guessing the valve needs replacing and could have been the cause of the lack of hot water. Is there anything else it could be I might have missed?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
The valve's probably dripping from its spindle merely because it's been used after a long period of inactivity. Annoying, but not the cause of your fault, I suspect.

Your hot water cylinder will probably be filled from a cold water storage cistern, either a separate unit or sometimes actually attached to the top of the hot water cylinder. Investigate that, i.e. check that it's filling properly.

C.

Thanks Chris. I wondered about this, I think the cistern must be attached to the top of the HW cylinder as there's nowhere else it could be in the flat.

I'll investigate tonight and see what I can find.

Known as a "combination tank", I think (not to be confused with a combination or "combi" boiler, of course!).

Sponsored Links
Hi

My opinion would be a blockage around the tank h/w outlet or the pipe off of it. Likely caused by limescale.
I would also check the level of water in the header tank and that the ball valve can keep up with the h/w output.

HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back