Hot water speed long pipe run..

sooey, it all depends on what you mean by "worthwhile" and "normal". I have two customers who have such a system; neither was installed by me, but I ended up fault-finding on one of them (because the installer had cross-circuited the pipework under the floor) and then correcting the wiring when he'd come back to "rectify" his previous error.

It's a trade-off between the extra convenience of immediate hot water and the extra cost of having that convenience. Only the customer can make the decision, but leaving the costs aside it's a luxury that I would expect anyone would like to have.

Sponsored Links
I would just like to decrease the time for my DHW to come through. If I put the boiler in the kitchen the pipe run would be just a couple of metres to kitchen taps and about 6-7 to bathroom. Looks like the simplest option. I don't like wasting water or gas.

If i do have this installed, can i just use dhw and not CH. Would i need a radiator for circulation if I just had dhw selected on the boiler. The reason I'm asking is cos i have economy 7 storage heaters and they're fine right now.

sooey said:
sime10 the water may never run out as you say, but its still a waste to heat it before pouring it down the drain. Thats what i thought the point of this thread was anyway.

You are getting mixed up now yes it is a waste to heat secondary hot water I am talking about wasting a few litres of cold unheated water

Sponsored Links
sime10 said:
You are getting mixed up now yes it is a waste to heat secondary hot water I am talking about wasting a few litres of cold unheated water
If you run a hot tap then the water you waste, whilst cold at the time, used to be hot. Therefore you're actually wasting hot water, not cold.

With some questions you get tradesman arguing amongst themselves on what is right and wrong then they come up with a Combi, just for hot water. I have got economy 7 :mad:

Softus said:
sime10 said:
If you run a hot tap then the water you waste, whilst cold at the time, used to be hot. Therefore you're actually wasting hot water, not cold.

Yes but its cooled so it was heated if this person fits a multipoint he will still waste a bit of water but he will be happy

Fair enough softus I can't argue with that, the customer should decide, all we can do is try to explain the choices open to them. I do try to do this for people, but sometimes, perhaps if I go into too much detail I get the feeling that they think that I am trying to pull the wool over their eyes in some way. You can see by a lot of the posts on here that the general public don't seem to have a very high opinion of the integrity of plumbers.

I am not too quick on the typing lads, so you'll have to excuse me, my last post was a reply to softus first post on this page.

sime10 said:
With some questions you get tradesman arguing amongst themselves on what is right and wrong then they come up with a Combi just for hot water I have got economy 7 :mad:

If you read it properly this person wants a combi to supply 7 feet to his kitchen taps not to waste water I said Fit a multipoint

What you should have said in my quote is that they come up with a combi just for hot water

Did you miss that last bit???

Its great quoting people but qoute, what they say not just a bit of it to make you look clever.

sime10 said:
Its great quoting people but qoute what they say not just a bit of it to make you look clever
No, I read everything properly, and didn't miss anything that you posted. :rolleyes:

I quoted part of your post in good faith, believing that I was picking the relevant part, not in any attempt to be clever. If you want to pick an argument then please make it about something interesting.

sooey said:
You can see by a lot of the posts on here that the general public don't seem to have a very high opinion of the integrity of plumbers.
Personally I don't give a sh*t about the general opinion, because I can do no more than continue to give my customers the service that they're happy with, as do most of the tradespeople on the forum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back