Hot water suddenly stopped working!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My hot water has suddenly stopped working. There is no central heating on the system just a hot water tank for the kitchen and bath. The boiler is cold and doesn't seem to heat up at all. It appears that the heating element has stopped working. Any ideas if this is the case and if so is it a DIY job to fix and is it expensive?

Dave

Sponsored Links
is there a boiler like this

p4749600_l.jpg

or is there just a cylinder like this?

p1053465_l.jpg

Does it have an immersion heater? If so, is there a simple on/off switch, or a timer, or what?

Its not a combi boiler its the old copper round tank. I'm not sure if it has an immersion heater, there is a red "thing" at the bottom of the tank which has "electric heater" written on it and made by Howden.

There is a wire from it that plugs into the mains. There doesn't appear to be a timer directly attached to the boiler but on the wall in the kitchen there is the normal hot water timer.

This is all set up correctly, even when I turn on the boost function it doesn't heat the water, even after being on for an hour. When the boost is turned on it does make a noise like water is being circulated though, but no heat.

Dave

I have a feeling it is a copper cylinder with an electric immersion heater.

It would be very helpful if you will post pictures of the cylinder, the controller, and the "thing" stuck in it.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=99672

The cap of the immersion heater usually looks something like this

p2416811_l.jpg

and it should have a fairly thick, heat-resistant (rubbery) flex going into it.

To change it is a plumbing job.

However, there is a possibility that it is just the Thermostat that has failed - this is an easy job to replace as you do not need to drain down the water, because the thermostat is in a watertight pocket. If the immersion heater is very old the thermostat may be difficult to obtain

because you say it makes a noise when switched on (is it a bit like a kettle singing?) I think it has electrical current going to it so it is less likely to be the circuit or the switch.

1) Are you confident and capable to carry out an electrical test? (you will need a multimeter)?

2) Are you confident and capable to drain down the cylinder and change the immersion heater (if necessary)?

Sponsored Links
can't read that, ebo says:

Please Sign In to View Photo Album

p.s. please don't call it a boiler, call it a cylinder

Thanks, that's much better.

A few points:

It looks to me like I can see limescale on the cylinder where it has cracked. This is bad news. You need a new one. If you start trying to unscrew the old immersion heater, or touch it much, the cylinder will probably come apart and a lot of water will gush out.

The heater looks pretty old, but that is not such a big deal, you can have a new one when the cylinder is changed.

It also looks like it has been leaking round the immersion as well, but that's no big deal as the rest of it is in such a poor state.

Sadly, a new cylinder will cost you in the region of £150*. It will be properly insulated so it will keep hot for at least 24 hours which will save you a pound or so each week in wasted heat. As you appear to have economy 7 or similar cheap-rate nighttime electricity, get the biggest one you can so you can have lots of half-price heat and not have to top it up during the day.

If there is any possibility that you will be getting a gas boiler in the next 20 years, get an indirect cylinder. It will cost little extra but can be heated by a boiler if you wish. Gas is much cheaper than electricity.

I think I can see a plastic waste pipe connected to the cylinder. this is very strange and not correct. I presume you have a cold water tank in the loft.

I would strongly advise that you ask around friends and neighbours for a local plumber that they recommend. He should be able to fit a new cylinder and immersion in half a day or so, without causing the floods and damage that might happen if you are not very good at plumbing.

Immersion heaters usually go into the top now, so you will want a long one. Get an Incalloy element which lasts a lot longer.

Some cylinders are available with a top heater and a bottom heater, but you probably won't need that.

I am not a plumber, just a fairly sensible housholder.

* edited: I should have said that is plus fitting, plus immersion, plus other parts

JohnD thanks very much for taking the time and effort to help me out, looks like i will just need to bite the bullet and replace the lot.

When I look at the pictures its obvious that the cylinder is in very poor condition and very old, probably over 30 years.

Its surprising to me that you even bothered to think that you might repair it.

A replacement might cost about £350-£450 depending on your area and any complications.

As suggested an indirect cylinder will be a useful benefit in the future if you have gas to the property.

Tony

I fly helicopters, I know nothing about plumbing. Hence the hope of fixing things, not to worry, lol. Are there any weblinks I can look at to find a boiler?

I am hoping to upgrade to gas central heating in the next year or two. At present I have electric heating, so I would obviously want to buy something that is capable of an upgrade. Would a combi-boiler be an option just now?

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back