Hot Water Tank- BIG Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys got a big problem.
I am not British and it is difficult for me to make the right choice. Living in a flat with no gas I do not know what is best.
I have an electric shower and we are 2 people living with usual needs.
My questions are:
Putting an electric water heater, what would it be the right volume? I and my girlfriend have one shower each per day (hence no hot water used). Washing up after dinner and twice a week washing machine.
Can i use a 50 litres hot water tank?
Or I need a bigger one (75 or 100 l).
3. What is different between a OPEN VENTED COMBINATION TANK 75L, a UNVENTED WALL HUNG WATER HEATER 100 LITRES and a ELECTRONIC INSTANTANEOUS MULTIPOINT WATER HEATER 18KW 400V

Remember I am on a night tariff, hence I NEED TO SAVE MONEY

Many thanks I am desperate.

Sponsored Links
First of all, stop being desperate. You are about to install a piece of capital equipment that may last thirty years. Desperation is NOT the right state of mind.

Open vented combination tank

this is an unpressureised tank with an integral header tank. Works like "traditional" systems.

100 litre wall hung unvented.

Gives mains pressure water, but this thing will weigh over 100kg. I'd think again before putting it on a wall, it's a LOT of weight. Can be used to run a shower directly, so could use stored, night tarriff water.

18 litre instant water heater.
wont make use of night storage.

For use on night tarriff, you should think of 210 litres, if you own the flat you will want to sell it one day. (If you don't own it, I'm not sure why you are asking the questions.)

Unvented cylinders over 15 litres must have building control permission before installation, and then the installation MUST be done by a certified operator. These units have the ability to demolish houses!!!

You can use thermal stores from Gledhill or Albion, or you ca use unvented cylinders from Ariston or Heatrae Sadia. There are other manufacturers, but for heaven's sake take your time and think carefully before you buy.

I need your expert opinions guys.

I have many options to follow that’s why I am confused.

I own a flat in a council estate with no gas and on the night tariff, and a loft where I am almost sure the council will never say “yes put your tank in the loft!”.
There is a hot water tank (huge and maybe very old) in an airing cupboard and it is taking a lot of space. We are 2 and there is an electric shower that we use everyday

I need to change the tank and make space.

If we use an electric shower and say I will keep it, why do I need a 100L tank that`s most of the time remains unutilised?

If I do not keep the shower I will need a big tank and I think also a pump (correct?).

I know I cannot use an unvented cylinder (too high pressure, correct?)

If I want to make things nice & tidy, can I use a 75L wall hanged cistern type vented (full weight with water 130 Kg, I guess I can reinforce the wall if required) keep the electric shower, do not put any extra pump and do not cover the cistern in any cupboard?

Finally, what the difference with the foam coated cylinders that are ugly (hence to be covered) but cheap and the vented Heatrae or Albion tanks?

Guys thanks to anyone can put into the right direction.

I asked a quotation to TRANSCO for an installation (I`ll see).

Sponsored Links
vgarcia said:
Finally, what the difference with the foam coated cylinders that are ugly (hence to be covered) but cheap and the vented Heatrae or Albion tanks?

Part L of the building regs means that all new copper cylinders need to have the foam insulatio on them...I suspect the heatrae and albio tanks you refer to may be unvented hot water stainless steel cylinders, not a budget option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back