Hot Water Tank replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an indirect hot water tank that is leaky. In order to change it do i have to drain down the central heating system . The central heating pipes - bottom one has a stop valve the upper one has no stop valve and is connected to the mid position electrically motorised valve. Any ideas :D

Sponsored Links
The stop valve you mention on the lower primary is almost certainly a gate valve there for balancing purposes. There are ways to get around draining the heating system but for a diyer I'd recommend a drain down as the risks are lower. Also, unless you are sure of your competency, I would think carefully before attempting a cylinder change. There is the potential to make a very big mess if you get it wrong. I have been involved in sorting out a few.

Elkato531 is quite correct about changing the cylinder. Unless you have lots pipework experience its best you get a friend (or proper plumber) to do the work.
I know it sounds like we are trying to guide work to plumbers elsewhere, but believe me if you mess up you need a plaster and carpet fitters as well!
Good luck!

PS. if you do, don't be tempted to install more stop valves as this is very dangerous for boiler. Just use existing ones.

Sponsored Links
I have a friend who has run the big steam engine down the road for the past 40 odd years :D However i was rather hoping that the pipe work would be fairly straight forward with just a like for like swap or am i in cloud cuckoo land ? I see lots of tanks 900 by 450 available aren't they all the same ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back