Hot Water Tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The hot water tap in the bathroom, no matter how much I turn the tap, only a trickle comes out. All the other taps in the house are fine. I did take the tap apart and cleaned all the gunk out but this made no difference.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Blocked feed pipe?

Did you turn on the supply with the tap apart to test flow rate?

Faulty isolating valve.

No I didn't, I didn't even think to try that.

I've heard people say attach a pipe to the cold tap and use the cold to clear any blockages, could that work?

EthanH said:
I've heard people say attach a pipe to the cold tap and use the cold to clear any blockages, could that work?
No - that works only when air is the blockage.

What's all this about finding gunk in the tap? This sounds rather strange?

Sponsored Links
had this problem before.if you remove the head of the tap you should see a small circlip.my guess is the circlip has jumped out the circlip recess.if you turn off the water remove the spindle from the body then screw the spindle down or up this will allow you to put the circlip back into place.you can also hold a towel over the tap when spindle is removed just to prove that you are getting pressure which i,m sure you will have.

Ok, I took the tap out again and then turned the water on AND.... still only a trickle!!

So I guess this means the tap isn't the problem.

The little clip on the tap was still attched BTW.

No, its not a new one. We have had our central heating flushed out. Could that have something to do with it?

EthanH said:
No, its not a new one.

You more than likely have a blockage in the supply pipe.

Softus said:
What's all this about finding gunk in the tap? This sounds rather strange?

As Softus has asked, what gunk?

EthanH said:
We have had our central heating flushed out. Could that have something to do with it?

No it won't.

EthanH said:

I had a 'blockage' in a cold feed once. Put hose from cold mains to hot tap, pressure was very good on cold mains, it cleared the 'blockage' ok.

Dead mouse that had fell into cold storage tank and somehow got into feed from tank is still in orbit I think :LOL:

I think the gunk was just deposits.
I have now changed the taps, the wife had bought some new ones. Still no improvement. Only a trickle from the tap, all other hot water taps fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back