Hot water that smells

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a basement conversion flat and am gradually working my way through the many and various problems with it. Next on my list is the fact that when I turn on the hot water tap in the bathroom, the water that comes out (though clean and normal looking and hot) is accompanied by a smell which is hard to describe - but I'll give it a go. It's a sort of dank/musty unclean smell. In the kitchen, the hot water is smell free.
Technically I know nothing at all but can say that to provide the hotwater, I usually switch the boiler on (manually -as the control is a bit dodgy) and then it heats (quickly) "on-demand".
Sorry for the lack of useful information, but perhaps if I was given suggestions as to possible causes or things to check (that I would understand how to check!) -I might report back with the detail to trace the cause.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Do you have a cold water tank? How is the water heated? Has the flat been unoccupiedfor a while?

If you have a cold tank, inspect it for dead mice/birds/squirrels/bits of wood fallen in. If it hasn't got a lid, buy one.

Sponsored Links
I went to investigate a claim of smelly hot water.

I was very sceptical because it was a combi boiler and the information said the hot water was only smelly in the bathroom.

It was a problem with the loft cistern tank fed COLD water in the bathroom.

There was a very bloated ( and dead ) squirrel floating in the cistern!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back