Hot water then no Hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 2 year old Sime Ecomfort HE 30W boiler.

The fault is that when we try to run a bath the water starts to heat up then the boiler switches off, we then have to restart it, if we run a shower the boiler will normally cut out but once the boiler is restarted the shower will then run hot, the sink taps seem to be okay when run, it is just the main hot water tap for the bath this cuts the boiler out each time.

I have checked the Aquaguard as per the instruction manualand this is clean, any ideas please.
I am waiting for a plumber "number 3" to come out and take a look but he seems not to want to get involved as per the other two ....

I believe Sime are no longer in production and parts are scarce is this correct.

Sponsored Links
Don't know much about these boilers, but who told you they were not made anymore?

One of the disinterested plumbers you had out?

See HERE

It was a plumber I rang, he told me they had gone bust and there was no spare parts, he was not interested in looking at it for me either.....

cant understand why it cuts out, the only thing I can think of is the flow rate is to much from the larger bath tap, but even when I turn the tap only slightly open it still cuts out, the shower is fed from the same hot water pipe and that will stay on after two or three relights ....

From the Sime Website:-

RECORD YEAR FOR BOILER MANUFACURER SIME

Yorkshire based boiler company Sime has announced record UK growth for 2007, with sales figures up 38 per cent on the previous 12 months.

The company’s success follows the appointment of managing director Paul Linley in 2006, who has since invested heavily in the firm and implemented a transformation strategy designed to strengthen Sime’s position within the UK’s hot water and heating market.

Obviously they sold 50 Sime boilers during 2006 and increased the sales numbers to 69 during 2007 !

Were the engineers you contacted Service Agents for Sime ?

What does the installer have to say about the problem?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Doesn`t this boiler have an Led function showing faults?

the sink taps seem to be okay when run, it is just the main hot water tap for the bath this cuts the boiler out each time.

It seems that the boiler is fine but there is just a problem with the bath taps!

The boiler is not intelligent enough to know where the water is being used! It just cannot see round corners!

Tony

It could be a thermistor fault, flame rectification probe fault or pcb fault. Sure there is an LED display on this model though. Is there a hot water flow switch? dunno? :cry:

The LED is GREEN when running okay and RED when not which tells me diddly squat apart from flame fail, what I meant about the BATH Tap was that there was more flow of water than a SINK tap was just posting this fact to see if you more professional than I thought it might be a reason but thanks for pointing out the useful information Agile Ill change the bath tap....

I have tried the installer, he works for British Gas and just does installs as a sideline, tried two others one said he would turn up and did not, the other told me they went bust and did not want to get involved, Ill go round to where I purchased the boiler from and see if they have anyone who can look at it.

Thanks anyway.

can you describe this bath tap?

Is it a joystick which could be allowing cold to mix in the tap?

If you set it on hot and turn off the cold supply into the boiler does ALL water stop flowing from the bath tap?

Is the bath tap the same control as for the shower?

If you set the bath tap to the same flow rate as the kitchen tap then the boiler should behave in exactly the same way!

Tony

The bath tap is just a larger version of the sink tap, with more flow when fully open,the Hot and Cold taps are also separate.
The shower and sink in the bathroom are fed from the same hot water supply pipe Ive tried turning the bath tap right down so that there is minimal flow, but the boiler will still cut out, the shower is a mixer type shower regulated by turning the tap which regulateS the temperature by mixing THE Hot and Cold water, it makes me think it has something to do with flow rate, but why if I turn the Hot tap down to minimal flow does it still cut out, maybe it is overheating and the Safety mechanism in the boiler shuts it down....

Ive added the user manual, someone with more knowledge than me might be able to point me in the right direction... (':D')

not sure how you add links so just pasted it.

Did a google search.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=sime+ecomfort+he+boiler&btnG=Search&meta=
Sime HE boiler half way down search page

http://portale.sime.it/jportal/pcon...?azioneprossima=16&role=1&id_extension=137334

I would like to know where in your bathroom does the cold mix with the hot?

Merely saying the bath tap is a bigger version of the basin tap gives me no information on any of your taps as I have not been to you house ( and would have to charge if I did ! )

Tony

Image of taps, not mine but it will give idea of size http://www.bathhouse-restoration.com/imgs/GalleryRepo/790104DSC03903.jpg

Hot and Cold mixes at the Shower Mixer head, ie hot and cold go to bath separate via t hot and cold then go to Shower and again a t feeds the shower the hot and cold mix in the shower thermostat thingy http://images1.hdpi.com/product_enlarged/HGrohe_ExpsdShower_Ecostat_13261.jpg pic of similiar item, then the hot and cold go to the sink and finish there, so its Bath then Shower then sink, all fed from the Hot and Cold feed pipes. hope this makes sense.

If you set it on hot and turn off the cold supply into the boiler does ALL water stop flowing from the bath tap?

In any combination of shower control setting?

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back