hotpoint 420 problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i hope someone can share any ideas or offer any advice i have with this machine .
The problem is when i press start to wash i get the wash light staying on and the machine does nothing .
Earlier today i check the wiring and connections but nothing looked burned out or loose.

thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Hi Thanks for your reply on this.
Can you tell me how i access the brushes to have a look and what to look out for.
Today i opened up the lid checked all the spade connectors were tight with no signs of damage or wear , I also loosened off the powder compartment gave it a good clean checked the hoses leading into it but nothing seemed wrong.
I removed and refitted the valves the water supply hoses connect to also checking the wiring all looked ok.
Next i took out circuit board removed and refitted the connectors and plugs even looked at the c17 position capacitor but to my untrained eye that looked ok.
I thought there might be a problem with the door lock because when i set my programme and then press start my door lock light comes on along with my wash light the door lock light goes off leaving the wash light on by itself and the machine stays in that position untill i turn it off because its doing nothing.

thanks again for your idea on the brushes

When your mc wont fill or spin ie door locks and nothing else it's the motor brushes that are worn. Loads of posts on here about it just look at my posts bedtime reading for you. As for taking them out you tube will show you how. Just two 13 mm bolts. At the back for the motor but a lot of people do it in situ. Take brushes out carbon should be at least 2 cm I bet there's nothing there.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply . Thats my next task will let you know how it goes.

cheers

Hi Rocks1 i took your advice took out the motor then removed the brushes and they do look really worn with approx 5mm of the carbon left.
My next move is to replace them and see what happens.

I will keep you posted

Thanks again

Oh yes they are well shot. Deffo new ones needed

Hi back again with my latest update.I have replaced the worn brushes but unfortunately still got a problem.
When i put on a wash cycle and press start two lights come on which are door locked and wash , then the machine fills with water then door locked light goes out leaving the wash light on itself then nothing happens.
I can put dial onto pump out and the water goes away.
Does this mean i have a problem with the motor and is there anyway to check it .

cheers

What happens when you put it on spin only. Check that the wires are connected on the brushes

I have just removed the motor checked the connections put it back and they seem ok.When i put it on spin only there is no movement i just get the spin light staying on.

Is the motor plug fully in ,any wires loose on the motor plug.

just went over every plug and connection again tried to clean armature with dry cloth , checked , brushes .
Now when i press start for a wash it still fills up with water , now the drum rotates . but now i get the on / off switch flashing quickly and the rinse/hold light flash slowly
when i try to switch off power to machine i am unable to with on off switch so i had to pull plug.

Wot number light is rinse hold 1 2 3 4or 5 working from top to bottom

That's error fo2 motor triac. It could be faulty pcb or motor. As long as the connections are ok and brushes are firmly in and not loose. It's got be something you done cos it wasn't doing it before. Does the pins match up on the motor plug there's not a spare pin on the plug is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back