Hotpoint Aquarius DF62 Dishwasher Problem

Continue to use it without salt for a couple of days, if that solves the problem its most likely the valve.

It is also worth checking that the salt cap seal is ok and no splits in the top, some caps have a plastic window that splits with age.

Then by disconnecting the wiring to the valve you could see if the problem persists with salt in the container. If it persists then the valve is stuck open. If not then there is probably a fault on the control board.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. I have checked the salt cap and there are no cracks, the seal isn't a tight fit but seems OK in one piece. I will try a couple of runs as you suggest and see how it goes. I'll let you know. Many thanks again for your help.

Good afternoon Yardie, I have run the dishwasher a few times without adding any salt as you suggested and the dishes are coming out perfectly clean, no smears or smudges or build up on the crockery, not quite sure what to do next. The inside of the machine is coming up spotless too. Many thanks for your help.

You have 2 options really.
1. Continue to use without salt as we have now established salt is causing the issue. However hard water will cause limescale and eventual failure of the machine. You could have a water softener fitted that supplies the whole house but costly.
2. Replace the salt solenoid valve yourself or get an engineer in. Relatively easy and straight forward and cheap part. Though engineer might be costly.

If your certain the salt cap is fine then its definately the valve.

To access the valve you need to remove the lid and the left side panel.

I can guide you if you have difficulty and are able to provide photos.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the information. I would rather try to fit the new part and am quite willing to have a go. I can see there are screws on the side panel but presume the top slides off somehow. The front couple of inches of the top are separate from the rest. I'll pull the machine out tomorrow and have a closer look to see if I can get the top off and will let you know. Many thanks for your help.

First remove the lid, 2 screws located on the top rear panel. The lid should then slide backwards and lift up.

On some makes after removing the rear screws it is necessary to slightly lift the rear of the lid and slide forwards to lift off.

Be cautious as retaining clips are only plastic and can easily snap off so do not use excessive force.

Next remove left side panel (viewing from the front).

It may be necessary to firstly remove the bottom front kick plate, possibly held on by screws or simply unclips. Again be careful as the clips are only plastic!

To remove the side panel check to see if there are any screws under the side panel bottom edge, its much easier to remove these first then,
2 screws on top (now accessible since removing the lid),
2 screws down the front door frame (open the door to get access),
1 maybe 2 screws bottom front (now accessible since removing the kick plate),
2 maybe 3 screws down the back.

The panel should now release and expose the valve you need to replace.

Once you've got this far perhaps you could post a picture so the valve can be identified and advise further.

Thank you for all the information. I will dismantle the machine Wed morning when I'm not working to give me plenty of time, hopefully can then send you a photo of the valve. Many thanks again.

I may not be available wed.

Disconnect from the mains electric. Water hose and waste can be left alone if the lengths of pipe allow the machine to be pulled out enough.

When u get that far you will see a plastic container(usually filled with salt but yours is empty so its just water) with a valve attached and 2 wires connected to it. The wires can be re-connected either way.

The valve is held on by 2 screws, there will be water spillage so be prepared, the valve will then just gently prise out.
Any water collected in the bottom tray will need to be wiped up otherwise the antiflood device will be triggered.

Be sure to keep the seal that should come out with the valve but not always. Black rubber ring.

Now you have the valve go on ebay and find one that looks the same, as long as it is a working one don't worry if its a secondhand one or not. But then you may prefer to buy a brand new one at a slightly higher cost. Should be about £10 2ndhand £20 new incl postage, much more you are being ripped off.

Thank you so much Yardie, I have printed out your instructions and will have a go and let you know how I get on. Again, many thanks.

Hi Yardie, well I must be a bit of a wimp, I couldn't get the lid off.l I undid the two screws and beside each screw is a sloping plastic device. I suppose I have to push the lid back before being able to raise it but I couldn't move it and I broke one of the plastic devices in the process. I have a friend coming over at the weekend and will see if together we can move the lid.. Meanwhile, espares have quoted me £69.99 for a new valve but I see on ebay (satisfive) they have one for £9.99. I think I may buy the ebay one to try and get it finished at the weekend. I'll let you know how I get on.

Hi Yardie,

My son has come over today to repair the machine and get the lid off etc., I am not sure whether I have bought the right part though. I enclose photos but the part I have bought I think attaches to the blue hose where the main water comes in. Are you able to advise please? Many thanks.
View media item 93682
If these images don't work, I believe you can go into my album.

You have bought an inlet valve, what you need is the white valve located at the bottom of the water softener container in the 2nd photo.

Thats the one.
You will need to remove it to match the valve due to variations of the plunger.
Can you easily get to the 2 retaining screws? Remember there will be water loss, amount is dependent on how much water is in the water softener container and in the tubes above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back