Hotpoint Aquarius WD440 washing machine not draining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ahhh!. It's not draining. Washing machine stops mid-cycle. I've cleaned out the filter, checked the drain pipe, checked the filter. There's nothing blocking it. Took out the pump and tested it (it works), but it doesn't work during the washing cycle. Stuck a phase tester into the connecting electrical wires for the pump while the machine was in 'Drain' mode. No reaction. Is that my problem or could it be the PCB?

Sponsored Links
Seems strange but as well as checking the wires for damage especially at the connectors on the drain pump, check the motor brushes

i also have same problem here... i checked the drainage hose and theres nothing blocking it... what i noticed is that after rinsing the machine stops and i hear some ticking sound at the bottom of the machine and after 10 mins it gives a beep sound and the function buttons won't work anymore so i have to turn the machine off then try it again.. but same cycle

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the responses.
Yes, mine's the exact same problem as Reggiegesta. I've check the drain pump by taking it out and running it. No problem there.
Wires or connectors don't seem to be damaged. One thing I noticed is, that the machine would not start the cycle at all one time when I forget to reconnect the wire to the pump. Does that mean wiring is okay?

Wondering, Leccy 758, what are the motor brushes?
And, does anyone think it might be a PCB problem?

The motor brushes are attached to the motor at the opposite end to the drive pully.

They are spring loaded pieces of carbon mounted in plastic holders

I have cleaned the bottom filter - loads of coins in there. I have cleaned the filter on the top, lots of lint. I have cleaned the impeller - rubber band in there (the filter is really poor on these). I have checked the air hose for the pressure switch.

The machine works fine performs a wash and drains - but it will not Spin or dry. My head is melted with this.

No error codes/flashing lights

Any other ideas I am missing?

Hi Man,

Thanks for the reply -

What am I looking for when you say check the motor brushes? The drum does spin during normal washing cycle - its just wont do the fast spin, or enter the dry mode.

When you say check - what am I to look for?

Appreciate your response.

The motor brushes are made of carbon and located on the motor.

They wear down during use the symptoms start with poor spin then no spin progressing to no drum action and possible PCB damage.

Hi there,
I gave up in the end after checking for blockages, and checking the pump worked. Called Hotpoint who gave me a €109 quote (beaten down from €119) for a service call with a three-month warranty on the machine afterwards. There is a €219 deal as well which gives you 12-month warranty but that's not worth it, 1. because you could still cover yourself with another breakdown charge of €109/€119 and what are the chances of having another problem outside of those two three-month warranties, and 2. For the price you could buy a new machine anyway.
As with everything, I'm sure sterling prices are cheaper.
Turned out my problem was the PCB board so as they have to be programmed you can't install yourself.
Thanks for all the help though...

Sorry to hear man. I reckon I am going to be doing the same thing this week too. What a b1tch. I hate giving money for this cr@p. I have a T.V in my mam's house from when I was 16 - first TV I bought with my first job. Roll on 16 years - TV still works. Modern electronics are so cheap.. if you ask me they are designed to fail outside of warranty. Build machines to run and not ware out for 2 years, offer an 18 month warranty etc etc. But thats a rant for a differnt forum :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back