Hotpoint Dishwasher Melted At The Back!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Weve had a Hotpoint Dishwasher FDL570 for 3-4 years and tonight it stopped working mid cycle. All of the lights started flashing on the front and since then it will not start or finish a cycle, it just appears stuck.

Doing some troubleshooting online caused me to pull the dishwasher out and I saw this melted away at the back of the dishwasher! (it isnt fresh btw so I dont know when it melted but it literally did a wash a couple of hours before it broke and it finished fine!) Ive done a search on the internet and it looks like this model was recalled due to someones catching fire - link - http://gcmagazine.co.uk/warning-released-recalled-dishwasher-causes-blaze/ We clearly need a new dishwasher but not sure what we should do about this one. Im joining the website it states on the link but I just thought id post on here to see if anyone has any experience or advice?

Thanks!

BTW I should say i do normally register our devices but sods law this one I didnt. I think we got it from comet though so it will be easy to track, they take more of our details that the tax man lol

IMG_9645.JPG IMG_9647.JPG IMG_9650.JPG

Sponsored Links
Ive just joined the website and been on the hotpoint website but it says no further action is needed i.e it hasnt been recalled? Abit of a contradiction but i guess i'll ring hotpoint on Tuesday. Washing machine broke last week and now the dishwasher! grrrrrrrrr Thanks again in advance for any advice :)

the back of many dishwashers has a sound-deadening coating which is soft and sticky. If it touches something, for example a plug in the wall behind it, it will stick to that thing.

The damage in your pics looks very much like a section of the sticky layer that has pulled off because it was stuck to a plug.

Is it?

Thanks John, I think your bang on there. Im going to take another look but I think your right....I didnt realise it had a coating on the back. Back to square one lol Is it dangerous as is? (providing it worked fine i mean)

Sponsored Links
Mine did the same. I taped a piece of non-stick silicone baking parchment to the back of the machine to prevent it sticking again. If you can, it would be better to leave a bit of a gap to prevent it touching, which would also allow air circulation.

Thanks alot mate, really appreciated! Ive just looked again and its definitely the coating (I just saw it melted and assumed the worse lol). Yeah we'll leave a bigger gap next time, I ddnt even realise it had a coating on...I think its game over with this machine though :(

Thanks again :D

Thanks for the link mate, im just working through google now but didnt see that one! Ive been doing abit of tipping as per this thread from 2012 - //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hotpoint-aquarius-fdl570-flashing-error-lights-no-water.319323/

I tipped it up for about a minute and quite abit of water came out.....didnt smell particularly nice either so I thought "yes sorted"........no such luck lol I think ive narrowed the problem down to a blocked inlet pipe somewhere. Water is getting into the bottom of the dishwasher but its not alot and the arms arent moving at all. After a reset and a new programme selected, where you normally hear water gushing in all you can hear is the motor running with no water coming through and then it stops and tries it again so I honestly dont know where the water is coming from that gets in the bottom........ and yeah looking at that thread you posted aswell it says it could be the Air Break and Turbine. Im guessing this being broken would stop water from getting to the dishwasher with any pressure too? Are they easy to fit? £30 for a part is cheaper than £200 dishwasher lol

Thanks again

Last edited:
I better add aswell....apart from the initial flashing lights that appeared the first time there are no fault lights at all, it just comes to a stop and doesnt appear to do anything! Cheers

Hmmm just found this too - //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/hotpoint-aquarius-fdl570-dishwasher.411602/

Which part to try first? It sounds more like the circulation pump in that the arms arent moving? back to you tube to see if these are easy to fit! Sorry, im thinking out loud lol

I've only fitted similar on Bosch's so without searching I'm not sure what the air brake part is, but the turbine looks about the same as a flowmeter on, say, a Bosch. Yes, if broken it would likely stop water passing altogether or allow uncontrolled water to pass. Bosch flowmeter is a doddle to replace so hopefully, (a) this is your culprit, and (b) it's easy enough to replace.

Thanks mate, thats abit cheaper. lol I only did a quick search tbh but at that price its worth trying that before the circulation pump maybe. Its just strange how no fault lights come on and it just kind of stops and makes noises every so often. Oh well, a list of things to try again in the morning......could be worse, atleast we can hand wash pots, the fridge freezer would be a right pita lol Thanks again :D

- Edit - After abit more reading i think i know when the fault occurs. When I start the dishwasher the first thing it does is apparently empty any water that may be currently in the bottom of the dishwasher. It does this fine. After this a motor switches on.........it sounds like it should be pumping water through but nothing comes through. After a minute or 2 the pump shuts down and there is silence and it seems to try again after a minute or so and continue this until I turn it off/reset the programme. At some point water does get in the bottom but it is cold and is definitely not coming from the arms. I dont want to leave it doing this for longer than i have (30 mins) incase it does burn out the pump in there so arent sure what to do really.

Well thats where im at now lol. If anyone has any more ideas please let me know and i will give them a try in the morning. Hoping were not going to get the credit card out again.....washing machine last week grrrrr Thanks again for the help :)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back