Hotpoint First Edition WM 52

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Hotpoint WM 52 has a bad smell coming from the wash drum area. It has been there several weeks now and it smells like drains. We use the washer regulary, 3/4 times a week but we can not get rid of the smell. I suppose it could be stagnant water but I havn't a clue where it is coming from. We have tried running 'rince only' cycles and even put bleach in it. ( I know I shouldn't but I'm getting desperate) Has anyone got any ideas what is causing the smell and how I can get rid of it?
Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my old Hotpoint. I tried everything to remedy the problem and then got chatting in the supermarket to an old lady whose hubby used to own a chain of launderettes....

She said that it's a build up of gunk from soap powder and fabric conditioner in the pipes and that once a week they used to put a cup of thin bleach in the machines and then put them on a 90 degree wash.

I picked up some really cheap bleach and said I'd try it. It took two goes but my machine was super duper clean afterwards and no smells left!!!!

She also suggested using a washing machine cleaner descaler in the machine once I'd got rid of the smell - worked like magic.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on :D

The problem stems from most washes being cool washes. Soap powder and body fats don't disolve properly and form a scum in the outer tub, you can sometimes find it in the folds of the door seal. The bacteria thrive on this and this is where the smell comes from.
You must carry out maintenance washes on your machine. Once a month, put an aerial tablet (has high bleach content which will kill off the bacteria) into the drum (no laundry at all) and put the machine on the hottest wash. (you may have to do this a few times initially to get the machine clean). This will disolve the powder residue and body fats and flush them away.
Putting bleach into the machine isn't a great idea, it can rot the seals and hoses if it's too strong a mixture.
You should also clean out the dispenser regularly, drawer and cavity paying attention to the water dispenser holes on the upper part of the dispenser. A babies bottle brush is great for cleaing the dispenser.

Unplug your appliance before working on it.

Sponsored Links
Brightness said:
Hi,

I had exactly the same problem with my old Hotpoint. I tried everything to remedy the problem and then got chatting in the supermarket to an old lady whose hubby used to own a chain of launderettes....

She said that it's a build up of gunk from soap powder and fabric conditioner in the pipes and that once a week they used to put a cup of thin bleach in the machines and then put them on a 90 degree wash.

I picked up some really cheap bleach and said I'd try it. It took two goes but my machine was super duper clean afterwards and no smells left!!!!

She also suggested using a washing machine cleaner descaler in the machine once I'd got rid of the smell - worked like magic.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on :D

THANKS BRIGHTNESS IT WORKED A TREAT.

edited to correct quote

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back