Hotpoint freezer FFA97G temperature dropping but was working ok

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hotpoint Fridge Freezer FFA97G we had for over 15 years. Been rock solid reliable till now

The other morning I found the defrost alarm going off which I never heard before. I noticed temperature warming and fridge freezer not being cold.
I took everything out and had a look behind the label in the freezer section where the fan and coils are. All looked ok except the drain hole was iced over.
I left appliance on and the freezer which got cold so the coils and compressor must be working but the fridge didn’t get cold.
I assumed the fan was not working, then the fan kicked in that evening.

The fridge freezer worked for 2 days then the same thing happened again. Temp dropping and fan not kicking in.

Any ideas what could the issue could be or what I could test?

Sponsored Links
Any ideas what could the issue could be or what I could test?

Try a really through defrost - everything removed, turned off, then wait until all of the ice has melted out of it. Once back on, check the defrost cycle (heater) is working.

Sponsored Links
Try a really through defrost - everything removed, turned off, then wait until all of the ice has melted out of it. Once back on, check the defrost cycle (heater) is working.
Thanks, will try this and see what happens.

The blockage is usually in the ducts behind the back panel, so you can't see it, you have to leave the doors open until the dripping has stopped, both into the drain dish round the back, and into the cabinet

Did the full defrost, only a little bit of water on the drip pan.
I cleaned the drip pan, checked the drain plug. All was ok.
Gave it another go today and unfortunately fan not kicking in and freezer not getting cold enoug now.

Time to go fridge freezer shopping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back