Hotpoint, steer clear?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tbh when it comes to buying almost anything in life I tend to think there's still an element of luck involved as to whether or not the product you buy gives you years of hassle free service ... or nothing but headaches! You buy a VW Golf, I buy the exact same model. Yours is never out the garage, mine runs like a dream mile after mile. You buy a £100k Porsche, it's never out the garage, I buy a £12k Corsa, runs like a dream mile after mile. See my point? Lucky bag ... to an extent at least.

However, that aside, I've been looking at this Hotpoint machine for me old ma. She likes it and a big plus is the ease of opening and closing the door. She's getting on and some of these machines can be tricky to open/close if you're not as young as you used to be!

http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/appliance...art-wmfug-742p-washing-machine-white/F086248/

Long story short, salesperson in Curry's said 'steer clear of Hotpoint and Indesit.' He didn't say this particular model had any known faults, however he advised 'should' it go wrong Hotpoint engineers are taking weeks to service calls as they are spread so thinly at present due to two or three models (washing machines, fridges etc) having extensive recall works etc. Also advised they are in the process of being bought over so unsure if things will change for better or worse.

In the price range we were looking at, £250 - £350, he pointed us to Beko!

So, was this salesperson being kind and giving us genuine advice ... or is he on extra bucks for shifting the Beko's? Out of interest, the Hotpoint actually reviews quite well on Reevoo, averaging 8.9 / 10 from over 2,000 reviews.

Sponsored Links
There's a story in the Express today about a BEKO tumble dryer catching fire...... My mum has a Hotpoint washing machine and it's 18 years old and still working (she says)

Hotpoint and Indesit are the same thing (possible Whirlpool as well). We have a Hotpoint fridge freezer, and after the plastic front of a freezer drawer broke after day 2, I wasn't too happy but thought I'd give customer services a bell for a replacement. Only THEN did I really regret buying Hotpoint. The fridge itself, for the moment, is perfectly fine but if it ever goes wrong I dread having to get it repaired if under warranty. One thing is for sure, do NOT take out the extended warranty with the company - it's a bit of a scam whereby it's a sister company who charge an arm + leg for labour and call out even if the spares are free. I repeat, do not take out the extended warranty with Domestic and General.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back