Hotpoint washer/dryer (WD64) door hinge problem

bz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya, I was replacing a busted hinge on my Hotpoint WD64, but while unscrewing the old one, I realised that the screws that hold the hinge on are fastened to some kind of nut or bracket inside the washer body. So when I removed the screws, I heard the corresponding piece fall to the bottom of the washer.

Obviously, without that piece, I won't be able to screw on the new hinge.

I took off the lid and tried to move the soap tray in order to see to the bottom and retrieve the piece. However, everything is so crammed in there I couldn't see much, nor could I get my arm to the bottom to fish around.

Any ideas? Is there an easy way to get into the bottom of the washer that I'm missing? Also, how will I get this piece back into place when I retrieve it -- the interior side of the washer door seems to be very hard to access.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Easy just tip mc back and put ur hand on the front ledge. It might even be on the floor. Then to replace the bit just remove the white clip at 12 o'clock on the front panel and remove the wire and peel door seal back and hold bit in place while screwing door back on.

nice, i'll give it a try in the morning.

do you mean there's a place to put my hand into the machine from underneath? it was dark, but i didn't see an opening.

thanks!

Yes the bottom is open. Only a small ledge all round the bottom.

Sponsored Links
Once I figured out what you were talking about (the wire around the door isn't very visible), this tip worked brilliantly. Thanks much for the help.

Hi,

I almost did the same thing. I firstly watched a "how to do it" video on one of the sites selling the spare part (Hotpoint C00119413). Dead easy it said - just remove the two screws ............. No mention of the backing plate not being retained on the body!
After removing one screw I realised that this was free to drop if both screws were removed, so looked in my ancient Haynes Washing Machine Manual, but this only referred to the earlier machines but it explained how to get the front off for access on those. Not much use if a WD64.
Googling the problem I found that with a WD64 I should remove the boot retaining block at the top of the door hole and un-clip the boot to get a hand in behind. It was not obvious how the clip came off, so I came up with another way of doing it.

I will assume that you have got the door off already as the hinge pins are broken, popped the door plastic and fitted the new hinge to it. It is worth putting a dab of lube on the pins; mine were corroded and wrung off.
All you need beforehand is one washer, one longer screw (ideally about 30-40mm long, to allow door movement during assembly), and a good supply of swear words at hand. Here we go then -

Remove only the BOTTOM screw from the remaining hinge casting, so the backing plate is held suspended by the top screw.
SLACKEN the top screw just enough (4mm) to allow the remains of the hinge to pivot to allow the refitting of the bottom screw with a washer.
Tighten this to hold the backing plate in place.
Now remove the top screw, taking care not to displace the backing plate sideways and then discard the broken hinge remains.
Take the longer screw and fit through the top hole in the new hinge and offer the door so that you can find the backing thread with the long screw - a few swear words may come in handy at this point, depending on how long a screw you found (lots if it's not the same thread).
There is no need to screw this in far, just enough to locate in the backing plate so allowing movement to then swivel the door up to remove the bottom screw. Place this through the hinge hole and (more swear words here) fiddle it to find the plate thread, which should be dangling in line.
With the bottom screw tight so that it now holds the backing plate, remove the top screw (I was tempted to leave it in place) and replace with the original, ensuring both secure.
Now nip out to the pub whilst the wife tries it out.

I hope this helps - anyway it worked for me and without having to exhume the machine from it's resting place or risk damaging the boot, but knee pads are recommended.

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back