Hotpoint Washing Machine Leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint wma61 washing machine. It is about 3 years old and has just developed a leak. I am struggling to find out where it's coming from. It appears to be leaking from the bottom of the drum, as the bottom 2 screws are wet, although it may be from higher up and trickling down to these screws. I can't see where from though. I have thoroughly cleaned the soap drawer, and tightened the two screws where it appears to be leaking from.

I have a picture that I can send showing the 2 screws if anyone requires it.

It doesn't leak throughout the wash either... it seems limited to the start of the rinse cycle, and is a minor leak that only lasts for about a minute at most. It also appears to be slightly left of centre as you look at the machine from the front.

Any ideas?

Regards

Harry

Sponsored Links
I has this problem and don't know if yours is the same, I found the glass door was slightly scale and prevent the door getting a tight seal on the rubber opening. I have clean it up, since then I has no problem.

Also check the door hinges are not wobbly.

It sounds like the hose from the soap drawer to the drum may have worked loose. You need to remove the front of the cabinet to get at this hose. Unclip the lower trim panel, remove the soap drawer and the 4 screws thus exposed, prise apart the plastic clip holding the door sear retaining wire, remove wire and pull seal away from panel, remove 2 screws securing door switch, control panel hooks on at the right hand end and can be lifted loose, remove screws securing top and bottom edges of front panel, push soap drawer housing inwards slightly and the front panel can be pushed up and removed. This all sounds complicated but only takes 5 minutes.

Sponsored Links
thnaks for the advice. I'll give it a go tomorrow and let you know what I find :eek:)

Are you sure about model number you gave, i know of WM61 but i thought WMA range only went up to WMA33 or thereabouts.Not being picky but these two machines are totally different.Ta Nige.

yep. it's a hotpoint ultima wma61. it doesn't appear to be leaking from the hose to the drum :eek:( i can't understand why it's only at the very beginning of the rinse cycle either? other than that it doesn't leak.

Harry

These machines are constructed with the outer drum split down the middle and held together with about 16 torx screws. Sometimes the seal fails at this centre joint and the drum leaks. In such cases I would remove the drum, separate the 2 sections and reseal using RTV silicone sealant. This job would be beyond most DIY repairers though.

hi

thanks. considering that the water doesn't appear to be coming from anywhere other than the bottom directly on this split, I think this is what has happened. how much do you reckon a hotpoint engineer would charge?

Harry

Hotpoint are expensive, you would do better contacting a local independant repairer and asking them to quote for doing the job I've described. If you are happy with the quote, just ask them to repair the leak, let them do their own diagnosis.

I just checked out hotpoint... £34.99 to diagnose and then extra £54.99 fixed labour charge to fix the problem. My machine is still under warranty for parts. Thanks for the advice...i'll call a local repair man and see what he says.

Harry

Bit the bullet and called out the hotpoint engineer. He confirmed that the seal had gone, but seeing as how the bearings were vertually worn out anyway he said he may as well replace the drum. Thanks to all for the advice.

Harry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back