Hotpoint WM63 Main Bearing (change)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Could anyone please inform me how easy it is to change the main bearing on my Hotpoint WM63 washing machine, mainly I need to know if it is just the metal round plate at the back of the machine that has to come off or does the whole machine have to be taken to bits!

Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It is a fairly big job. The cabinet front is removed then the front of the outer drum. The drum pulley locknut is removed, the pulley unscrewed from the drum spindle and the spindle knocked inwards to remove the inner drum. The bearings can then be pressed or drifted out and new ones fitted. There are special tools available for getting the old bearings out which is not an easy task otherwise as they often come out in bits.

fido said:
It is a fairly big job. The cabinet front is removed then the front of the outer drum. The drum pulley locknut is removed, the pulley unscrewed from the drum spindle and the spindle knocked inwards to remove the inner drum. The bearings can then be pressed or drifted out and new ones fitted. There are special tools available for getting the old bearings out which is not an easy task otherwise as they often come out in bits.

Hi, so do you think it is within the capability of a DIY'er, I have had experience in changing Hotpoint washing machine brushes, door lock, belts, front seal etc, also heating elements on hotpoint tumble dryer?

Do I need any gaskets for drum etc or just the bearing kit

Many thanks

Are you sure it is the bearings that have failed? On these machines it is quite common for the drum spider to fail. This is an alloy casting with 3 arms that bolt onto the inner drum and the steel spindle in the centre. This is an easier job than doing the bearings although you have to do most of the dismantling as described above.
If you want to have a go I suggest you get the Haynes book on washer repairs, they might have a copy at your library. As I said, the difficult bit is getting out the broken bearings. Once the rear bearing is out, the front bearing outer race can be drifted out after drilling 2 diagonal holes 180 degrees apart behind it in which to insert a small drift. If you have the special tool this grips the groove in the bearing race that the balls normally run in, allowing it to be pressed out by turning a nut.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Fido

I assume that it is the bearings, as I can lift the inner drum up and down from the front of the machine and when running was so noisy and was throwing the belt off and struggling to go round! Not sure if the same condition arises when the spider has gone so with that in mind not sure if it could be the spider, is there any way I can tell?

Will I need any gaskets aswell as the spider/bearing kit

Thanks

Generally speaking, its advisable to change spider anyway as more often than not, the bearings wear a groove in the shaft of the spider. The spider and bearings can usually be purchased for around £25.00

Sorry, forgot to answer the gasket bit. In theory you are supposed to renew the black rubber seal round the outer drum front plate but I never bother and they don't tend to leak. To be sure it won't leak you can run a bead of silicone sealer round this seal before you put the drum front back on. If you can get parts locally you could strip it down first, then decide what you need.
Sometimes the loose drum cuts a groove in the heater element so that is another point to check.

Just thought I would write letting all know the outcome as most don't.

successfully changed bearings and spider, had trouble getting old bearings out and had to use a Dremmel drill with small grinding disc to cut small section out of outer ring (worked a treat), could be a tip for real stubborn bearings and lack of extractor, as in my case.

Many thanks for all that helped

PS Runs like a Rolls Royce now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back