Hotpoint WT960 - Scary loud sound while spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My hotpoint WT960 Ultima has started making this really loud noise whilst spinning, like an aeroplane beginnning its take off (it is really really loud, I cannot emphasize this enough).
It seems to coincide with me washing 2 pairs of trainers in it a few weeks ago (my wife has already told me off for this - I'd done it before and didn't think there would be a problem).

I've read a few things as to what might be causing the problem.

These are:
1. The drum bearings are knackered.
2. The weights aren't secrured correctly.
3. The motor could be knackered?
4. Anything else?

1. I don't think it's the drum bearings, as there is no grinding sound or anything when the drum is spinning at low speeds.

2. I have checked the weight located at the top of the machine, and it seems to be held well in place by the fixings.
I can't check the bottom weights because I can't get the seal off the front panel - if anyone knows how to do this please let me know.

3. I've tested the motor running with the belt unattached and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it (ie no strange noises or anything)

4. What else could it be?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You should be able to check the front weight from the bottom with the machine leaned over at an angle. If that is OK it could be a crack in the drum support spider. If a leg gets cracked on the spider the crack will open up due to centrifugal action during spin, causing the front of the drum to droop and rub on the heater or whatever.

Sponsored Links
fidom - Thanks for the advice. Got access from bottom, and indeed the bottom weight needed tightening. Was a bit tricky to tighten the nuts (because they are on the front side of the weight, which wasn't visible), but much easier that taking the entire front panel off.

So now it's spinning almost silently, cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back