House Insurance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got experience of the Insurance Company 'More Than'.
My House insurance is due and the More Than quote is half the price of the AA policy. SO cheap I fear they are not all the claim.
Appreciate if you have any experience.

Sponsored Links
part of the royal sun alliance group. not a micky mouse outfit. check policy is comparing like for like. you can probably get a price match for renewal with your existing if all is similar

Thanks Skhudy. I tried that with the AA and they maintained they did not do a Price Match.
I have never claimed on house insurance so have no experience of any company service. 'More Than' being a part of The Royal Sun Alliance group is encouraging. The policy details quoted is pretty much like for like, but as with all of these things, it is all in the detail which all comes out if you are misfortunate enough to have to claim.
I think I will give them a go.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry, it will probably double next year.

Yes - You are probably right but I'll then have another search for another deal.
My worry is not so much the cost but the reliability of the insurer should I need to claim. If 'More Than' is as reliable as the AA, then I will pay half for the same cover. The trouble is I have no experience of either in a claim situation. Thought someone on this site may have some experiences to share.

Are you taling about contents insurance or buildings insurance?

Its a cut throat business with everyone vying for your business.
When you are a new customer you will get all kinds of perks such as a low premium for maximum cover. They do this in the hope that like most people you will not bother looking around at renewal time and just stay with them.

Hopefully you will never be in the position of finding out how good their service is.

My House insurance is due and the More Than quote is half the price of the AA policy. SO cheap I fear they are not all the claim.

Maybe More Than aren't particularly cheap, it's just that AA are particularly expensive.

Years ago, when you used to have to phone around several ins. cos./brokers to get a price for car ins, AA were always laughably expensive.

Always check the small print and exclusions. Cover provision for individual high cost items, cover of items away from the home, garden items, sheds, emergency call outs, etc etc.......they all quote differently so it is worth while checking them out to ensure they provide the COVER YOU NEED.

If you go for the cheapest and then make a major claim, a claim assessor will visit and if you are only insured for £10,000 contents and he calculates your contents were valued at £20.000 you will only be paid 50% of the claim.

I went with them two years ago after getting a cheaper quote, one year later I went back to Lloyd's TSB.

Made a claim for my wife's stolen handbag, phone and money, £1000 in total. What a job we had with them, they tried to wriggle out of it saying we were negligent because the kitchen door was unlocked, yes it was, we were in the garden.

After 5 weeks they decided to pay up after iI threatened them with the ombudsman.

Lloyd's TSB on the other hand were superb and I should have stayed with them. About 5 years ago we were on holiday and returned to find our house had been extensively damaged following a burst, total claim just short of £20k. Builders in 3 days after phone call, all damaged furniture & carpets replaced within a week of builders completing work, hotel paid for etc. etc.

Recent experience of the excellent service from NFU was a neighbours house damaged by a lorry with about 4 cubic feet of wall torn out of a corner just below the roof line.

The building was repaired and the whole wall repainted to match the paint on the repaired area. The work was completed in less than week from the impact.

NFU are a bit more expensive but the cover, no quibble processing and rapid help and advice removes all the stress and worry when dealing with an incident or loss.

There are other companies as good as NFU but in all case you get what you pay for ( or rather you do not get what you do not pay for )

Sponsored Links
Back