House purchase but damp issues... how bad?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy an house and there are problem issues which are reflective in the price.

The property has a roof terrace which isn't sealed and has allowed water to penetrate into the walls.

The rooms below show internal issues such as cracks, blistered paintwork and crumbling plaster.

The external brick work is also stained and crumbling in parts.

How bad would you say this looks and how big a project could i be taking on.

Just an opinion would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Your pics only show a small, almost detailed, view of the property. There's a 50:50 chance of existing wet rot or dry rot in any woodwork, and the parapet will need re-building. Plus a new terrace roof. But if the price is right then go ahead, budgeting for professional builders - this isn't a job for a DIY'er.

Its a straightforward refurbishment, in a similar delapidated condition to thousands of other houses, no big deal. But remember that once you start opening up during the demolition phase then various new, previously concealed, bits of work will be revealed.

As from pictures it is seen that the house requires remodeling,various issues are seen here.I think you can consult an structural engineer who can better tell issues the house has and tell you the remodeling cost,according to it you can decide it. As, I also remodeled my old house with the help of denver renovations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back