House Rewire

Sponsored Links
Depends who's looking and if I think I'll get away with it. :)
e.g. "I must take my shoes off indoors"...

Hi All,

Rewire is going well and no problems so far,

I was just after a bit of advice regarding a CH boiler circuit. I'm considering the best way to install my boiler which requires 3A...

Are both the following methods\circuits OK

1) 6A - 1.5mm (non RCD) - 10m run to 3A FCU. Should I use 2.5mm if doing this?

2) I have a freezer next to the boiler. So was thinking it may be best to put this on the same radial as boiler so as to avoid any RCD tripping. Is this advisable and if so would you use..
16A - 2.5mm (non RCD), to Double Socket - then onto 3A FCU for boiler

If the above is designed under 17th i'm assuming all cables have to be run at a depth of 50mm or run in metal conduit (if non RCD). Does this apply if cables are run and clipped to wall surface so they're viewable?

many thanks

Scholesy
:)

Hi All,

Rewire is going well and no problems so far,

I was just after a bit of advice regarding a CH boiler circuit. I'm considering the best way to install my boiler which requires 3A...

Are both the following methods\circuits OK

1) 6A - 1.5mm (non RCD) - 10m run to 3A FCU. Should I use 2.5mm if doing this?

2) I have a freezer next to the boiler. So was thinking it may be best to put this on the same radial as boiler so as to avoid any RCD tripping. Is this advisable and if so would you use..
16A - 2.5mm (non RCD), to Double Socket - then onto 3A FCU for boiler

If the above is designed under 17th i'm assuming all cables have to be run at a depth of 50mm or run in metal conduit (if non RCD). Does this apply if cables are run and clipped to wall surface so they're viewable?

many thanks

Scholesy
:)

1. You can use 1.5mm thats fine if its on a 6A MCB

2. This would be fine to. Do whichever is easier! If the cable is viewable for its entire route, clipped direct, or in plaster over 50mm deep or in metallic conduit then you dont need to RCD it under 17th edition. :D

Sponsored Links
cheers flyingsparks. I think it makes most sense to go with option 2.

You mention installing a cooker isolator with a 13A socket on it.

Under 16th, you need to RCD protect if a socket outlet 'could be reasonably expected to supply portable equipment for use outside'.

17th is more specific, basically all socket outlets should be rcd protected, there are ways around this like non standard earth pins or (some would argue the toss on this one) clear labelling. Which I don't like.

I suppose, but I'm not sure how much that one is understood, in a commercial or industrial setting this can be covered, but do you have an induction programme for anybody who enters your house?

Actually, don't answer that :rolleyes:

good point click.

The new CU is installed now and we put the cooker circuit on the RCD side so thats OK.

Thanks again to all posters on here. Everythings tested and working well. :D

It was very interesting watching the professional doing basic things very very quickly which would have taken me a considerable amount of time longer. Simple things like cutting into 2.5mm T+E, separating the wires and taking the sleeves off the ends. He'd use one tool, flick his wrist a few times and all done, (hang on thats not meant to sound rude :LOL: ). Whereas i'd probably have used 3 tools, (cutters, stanley & cable trimmer) and taken 10 times longer. It makes you appreciate all the skills involved in being an electrician, or any other trade.

All in all, i'm glad i've done it. I've learned a lot and saved money BUT have given up lots of my spare time researching and doing the work, (I've not been fishing now for 5 months). Also my hands are like sandpaper now & i've had to buy some hand moisturiser!! (theirs something I never thought i'd be saying). I certainly couldn't have done it without the advice offered on this site, not only on this thread but the hundreds of other threads in these forums. Would I do it again if I moved house etc... Hopefully not, i'd try harder to find the extra cash for a professional BUT i'm very glad i've done it once and would do it again if I could go back in time.

Thanks again
Scholesy
:D

onto central heating and bathroom now :cry:

Surely if you could go back in time you'd just buy a lottery ticket, and not have to worry about finding the money for a professional, or anything else, ever again?

Huh,
if I went back in time and bought a lottery ticket then I`d end up in a parallel universe with a different lottery and find "Bad Wolf" all over the place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back